Are you looking for the best mattress for heavy people? Do you need a bit of advice from a person who is an expert at mattresses?
Sleep is a vital part of our lifestyle and our life. It is time we give our body to recover, refresh and rejuvenate.
However, some people do not give their bodies enough sleep (like me). When they do, they want to do it just right. That is why I am always on the hunt for the best mattress in the world!
I would love to try out all the mattresses available in the world. Although I know that’s not possible, I have tried many of them in the UK.
Keep scrolling until the end to find what you are looking for and more. Also, I have answered some of the most frequently asked questions to clear most of the doubts that may arise as you read through.
- – Best For Side Sleepers
- – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- – Best For Combo Sleepers
- – Best For Couples
- – Best For Hot Sleepers
- REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress – Best For Back Pain
My top pick – Brook and Wilde Lux Mattress
- It is engineered to provide spinal alignment and back support.
- This mattress has 6 layers of filling to provide you comfort.
- It is the exact firmness a heavyweight sleeper needs.
- It employs a unique wave technology.
- Back pain: This mattress is designed to provide good support for the back and pressure points.
- For couples: This mattress contours to your body while reducing motion transfer.
- Hot sleepers: It is made of breathable materials that are good for hot sleepers.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness is not flexible enough for lightweight sleepers.
- Combo sleepers: It is not the best choice for combo sleepers.
Are you looking for a heavyweight mattress that can provide excellent spinal alignment and ultimate comfort? Then, Brook + Wilde Lux is the one for you.
It is meticulously designed to provide you with layers of comfort. It uses a unique construction that is scientifically backed to provide spinal alignment.
It has six different layers of filling to give you the most restful sleep. This provides good support for the back and pressure points.
This mattress has a layer of 2,000 mini pocket springs manufactured to provide any heavy person with comfort. It is also good on pressure points and contours as you move around in your sleep.
The mattress has a breathable cover that is very soft on the surface and provides a cool feeling as you roll around on it. It also increases the durability of the mattress by wrapping the mattress perfectly.
The mattress is made of breathable materials that can be good for air ventilation. It also has a layer of cool memory foam. The memory foam layer is breathable, and hence it has excellent cooling capacity.
It is made to contour your body and reduce motion transfer. That can make an excellent choice if you or your partner is a fidgety sleeper.
It has an additional layer of 1,000 pocket springs. Each pocket spring is 135 mm and provides you with the extra spring you need.
It can help any heavyweight sleeper with the required bounce and push back if they toss a lot in sleep.
Best for Back Pain – REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress
- It has encapsulated premium pockets that provide an excellent neck support.
- The mattress has 150 mm edge-to-edge support walls.
- It offers excellent temperature regulation.
- It is a single-sided rotate-only mattress.
- Severe back pain: It is recommended for people with severe back pain since it has premium springs that can support the spine all night.
- Hot Sleepers: The open-cell memory foam prevents heating up and provides a cool sleeping environment.
- Shoulder pain: The premium springs are suitable for side sleepers with shoulder pain
- Couples: It does not have the best motion isolation features.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness is not optimal if you are a lightweight sleeper.
I suffer from chronic back pain, and I am always searching for mattresses to ease my back. However, it isn’t easy to find a mattress that helps.
That can worsen if you need a mattress that provides relief to your back and you are a heavyweight sleeper. So, this particular pick is going to make things easier for you.
This mattress has various features that can provide you with the optimum level of firmness a heavyweight sleeper needs. It can be perfect for anyone up to 20 stone weight.
That includes the 15 cm high 2,000 firm encased premium pocket spring. It can provide support for the unrivalled back and neck.
Related Read: Top Mattresses For Bad Backs
It has 150 mm high walls that provide the edge-to-edge support required to prevent sagging. Also, the memory foam comfort layer has open-cell memory features.
The advanced regulation of temperature will prevent heating up. It can keep the mattress cool and breathable throughout the night. If you are a hot sleeper like I am, this feature will be helpful.
The open-cell memory foam prevents heating up, which is common in standard memory foam. It can provide you with an undisturbed sleep cycle and a night of restful sleep.
This mattress provides a 100-night free sleep trial. You can try it for 100 nights and see how effective it is in helping you sleep undisturbed.
Best Luxury Pick – Tempur Sensation Luxe Mattress
- It is made of layers of Tempur material.
- It is an easy to maintain mattress.
- This mattress has excellent body contouring properties.
- The mattress also has a dynamic base that delivers bounce and stability.
- Back pain: Tempur material that can actively adapt to contour your body as you move. It also provides excellent spinal alignment.
- Combo Sleepers: The body contouring features of this mattress is extraordinary. Hence, it is an excellent choice for combo sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: I felt the optimal comfort for all side sleeping positions.
- Budget-minded buyers: This is not a good choice if you are looking for an inexpensive mattress.
- Hot sleepers: Although they can keep you cool to an extent, it is not the best choice for a hot sleeper like me.
Suppose you are looking for a mattress suitable for heavyweight sleepers. In that case, this is one of the firmest available on the market. Moreover, if you do not mind spending some extra money on it, this is for you.
Tempur Sensation Supreme is an excellent mattress with multiple layers that can provide dynamic support technology. It is engineered for pressure-relieving support and supreme comfort.
It is done by adding layers of Tempur material that are highly comfortable and easy to care for. It provides the perfect level of bounce that is required to make you feel flexible.
The covers are removable, and it is easy to wash as well. It is made of breathable materials that will allow breathability. However, it was not cool enough for a hot sleeper like me.
The dynamic support is provided by the Tempur material, which was initially developed to support astronauts by NASA during lift-off. It has viscoelastic cells that can actively adapt to contour your body as you move.
The cells actively shift and reorganise to mould to fit your body movements. Due to this, blood will be able to flow freely in your body to make you turn and toss less.
This mattress actively eliminates all the stress on the pressure points and also spreads the weight evenly. I felt relieved lying on it all night.
This Tempur mattress provides your spine with enough support with a firmness perfect for heavyweight sleepers. The mattress allows this by giving optimal comfort for all sleeping postures.
Tempur Sensation Luxe Mattress is one of the most reliable mattresses for a heavy person available on the market. It is clinically proven that these mattresses reduce tossing and turning in the bed by about 80%.
Best Firmness Mattress – TheraPur ActiGel Response 1600 Mattress
- It provides an excellent level of firmness with 1,443 pocket springs.
- It has 2 cm Actigel zones.
- This tufted mattress has a soft touch cover.
- The materials are composed of hypoallergenic materials.
- Combo Sleepers: It provides a high level of body contouring that can be the best for combo sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: It has excellent pressure relief on the shoulders and lower back. It can make it a good choice for side sleepers.
- People with sensitive skin: The hypoallergenic materials used in this mattress are suitable if you have sensitive skin.
- Severe back pain: It is not the best choice if you have chronic back pain like me. The spinal alignment is not optimal.
- Budget-minded buyers: This is quite expensive, and hence it is not fit for you if you are on a budget.
Firmness is an essential factor when picking a mattress for a heavy person. I’d recommend this as the best firmness mattress because this has the most optimal firmness for heavy people.
It has 1,443 pocket springs that provide the perfect balance of firmness and the bounciness required for a heavyweight sleeper. The springs are made of superior quality materials that support the critical areas of the body during sleep.
Related Read: Top Firm Mattress
The mattress has an exclusive ActiGel for 2cm, and it also has profiled foam that provides the perfect body contouring. It supplies the necessary support to all body parts, including pressure points.
The zone of Actigel plays an excellent role in regulating body temperature. Thanks to this mattress, I slept cool all night. The surface is also soft, and it absorbs moisture.
It has layers for additional support filled with PurFibre; it provides excellent comfort. These layers also add recovery and rebound properties that can help you move around.
This mattress has a soft knitted cover that is exceptionally silky on the skin. These covers are made of hypoallergenic materials. It will prevent any sort of allergies you may suffer due to the compositions in the mattress if you have sensitive skin.
The finishing is tufted to ensure durability and reliability. Also, this mattress requires rotating from head to toe regularly. This mattress is easy to handle with handles that make it easier to rotate it regularly.
This mattress is manufactured in the UK in compliance with all the safety regulations and quality rules. It comes with a one-year warranty.
Best Spring Mattress- Carnell Pocket Sprung Mattress
- It has 1,600 pocket springs to provide the required firmness for a heavy person.
- It has a natural wool filling.
- The cover is exceptionally soft and has good breathability.
- It is hand-tufted for durability.
- Couples: The springs and natural wool fillings provide excellent motion retention. Hence, it is a perfect choice for couples.
- Side Sleepers: It provides good shoulder support for side sleepers.
- Back Sleepers: Spinal alignment is excellent.
- Severe back pain: Although it has a good spinal alignment, it is not the best for severe back pain.
- Hot sleepers: The cooling is not enough for hot sleepers.
Carnell Pocket Sprung Mattress is an affordable option for mattresses for heavy people. It provides you with the perfect combination of firmness and flexibility.
It has more than 1,600 pocket springs made of superior quality metal that support every part of your body with the right level of firmness. The springs are placed to mould to any body movements during sleep.
The layers of this mattress are made of a combination of springs and natural wool fillings. It provides the support that is required to absorb movements. Also, it reduces the heating up of the body.
The springs are individually wrapped to provide you with the bounce and the balance required to sleep with your partner or pet. It gives this mattress an excellent motion retention feature.
The organic wool layering provides you with the softness required to get a restful night’s sleep. The wool helps in the regulation of your body temperature. The natural wool provides a revitalising rest with its softness and moisture absorption characteristics.
It has a hand-tufted finish that provides a soft and solid surface to roll around all night. The finishing is also made of materials that regulate heat and provide heat ventilation. It will help if you are a hot sleeper.
Most Comfortable Pick- Brook and Wilde Elite Mattress
- There is reduced friction in this mattress because of a memory foam protector.
- It has a thermo-regulating top layer.
- Innovate wave technology provides good spinal alignment.
- It has a removable and washable top cover.
- Hot Sleepers: The excellent ventilation makes it a good choice for hot sleepers.
- Back Sleepers: It has good back support for back sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: The shoulder and back support are optimal for side sleepers.
- Couples: It is not an optimal choice for couples since it lacks sound motion isolation.
- Lightweight sleepers: It is too firm for lightweight sleepers.
Brook + Wilde Elite mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses available in the market for a heavy person. It has a soft, comfortable, and firm feel that any heavy sleeper would want.
The Elite mattress is made of eight layers to provide you with a high level of comfort. The layers include a washable, easily removable top cover, pocket spring layer, and fine memory foam.
The top cover is a four-way stretch cover made of highly breathable materials. Hence, it allows excellent air circulation and improves cooling. You can sleep all night without having to wake up sweating.
The second layer is a memory foam protector, making it easy for the top cover to move freely. It ensures the first layer of memory foam works independently. You can feel this effect personally, the lack of friction between the foam and the fabric.
It has excellent cooling properties, thanks to the thermo-regulating top layer. The layer is made from high-density foam designed to support your spine and relieve pain on pressure points.
The open cell structure additionally provides breathability, which aids the mattress in staying cool throughout the night. This mattress is the best choice for a heavy sleeper who sleeps hot.
The spring layer has 2,500 mini pocket springs crafted to move with each of your body movements. The springs provide you with the most required firmness and pushback.
All the layers are crafted ingeniously with the help of an innovative Wave Technology. The addition of depth and density to the mattress’s upper layers will aid spine alignment.
This mattress has an excellent foundation. It has a supportive and robust base that provides the necessary solidity to the structure. Also, the base is non-slip, which ensures the mattresses stay solid as you drift into a restful night.
Best Memory Foam Mattress – Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- It has layers of pressure-relieving foam that are designed to provide perfect contouring.
- 7 zones, including a supportive base.
- It is Climate Neutral.
- This mattress has a polyester cooling cover.
- Hot Sleepers: It is manufactured to dissipate body heat and moisture to regulate the body.
- Side Sleepers: It provides good lower back and shoulder support.
- Couples. It is a good choice for couples.
- Severe back pain: It is not suitable for severe back pain.
- Stomach Sleepers: It can be harsh on stomach sleepers.
This can be the most suitable pick if you are a heavy person looking mainly for a memory foam mattress. It is an excellent mattress with numerous features that helped me fall asleep quickly.
The mattress has a 25 cm thick memory foam crafted to provide a heavy sleeper with enough firmness. It gives enough smoothness to make you feel like the mattress is hugging the body. It also keeps you cool all night.
It has 3 layers with 2 layers made of memory foam and a base layer made of stabilising foam. It provides enough support and comfort to any movement of your body. The layers are made of viscoelastic materials that provide comfort and softness.
The layers are engineered with components that reduce motion transfer. It can be helpful if you and your partner have different sleeping styles. So, you can share this mattress with your partner without worrying about disturbing one another during sleep.
It has an adaptive cooling layer cover on the top that is custom-designed to draw in fresh air for circulation and remove heat from your body. The layer is also incredibly soft and moisture-absorbent.
The memory foam is engineered to dissipate body heat and moisture to regulate body temperature throughout the night. The smart memory foam also absorbs your body heat and contours your body heat excellently.
The pressure-relieving memory foam provided high comfort and support on pressure points. It is also relaxing for the shoulders, so this can be a good fit for you if you are a side sleeper.
This mattress has excellent motion transfer features; you can move around freely as it aligns with your spine no matter how much you turn and toss around.
Most Durable Mattress- DreamCloud Mattress
- It has an excellent quilted top.
- The memory foam is made of Dream Plush breathable material.
- It has a sturdy foam base.
- The mattress has ActivEdge coils.
- Back Sleepers: The spinal alignment is excellent, and it can be a perfect choice for back sleepers.
- Budget-minded buyers: It is pretty inexpensive compared to other similar mattresses in the market.
- Side Sleepers: It can provide good shoulder support for side sleepers.
- Couples: It is not optimal for couples because of low motion isolation levels.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness can be too high for lightweight sleepers. The memory foam is engineered to dissipate body heat and moisture to regulate the body.
DreamCloud Mattress is crafted to provide a superior level of comfort that is made of premium foams. It is manufactured by experts focused on creating the most advanced adaptive gel memory.
The components are sourced from high-quality materials to provide the most durable mattress. It offers maximum comfort, breathability, and premium softness for a restful sleep experience.
The mattress has an excellent cover that can provide you with maximum breathability and an extreme level of softness. I prefer to sleep on softcover mattresses because they help me fall asleep faster. This mattress is very soft and helped me with that.
The memory is also excellent since it is breathable and provides deep contouring. It adjusts to your position as you move around all night. It also aligns with your spine as you move along.
The support foam keeps your body supported on almost all sides. It is supported by 15 cm superior quality pocket springs with advanced ActivEdge technology.
It minimises stress on pressure points and eases the pain in the back and shoulders. It also provides excellent comfort and support across the entire mattress.
The mattress also has excellent edge-to-edge support. The mattress base also excellently absorbs motion and provides you with additional support.
The cover is quilted with premium activated cooling technology. Also, this mattress is easy to handle and easy to care for.
Frequently Asked Questions- Best Mattress for Heavy Person
Which mattress type is best for heavy people?
If you are a heavy person searching for the most suitable mattress, you will be aware that not all mattresses might be ideal for you. So, what is the best mattress type for a heavy person?
An all-foam mattress or an innerspring mattress can provide support and comfort. However, a hybrid mattress with pocket spring and latex layers can be the best choice for a heavy person.
That is because they provide better strength and firmness than traditional mattresses. The innerspring design and the foam give the necessary support to your body.
Latex foam mattresses can also be an excellent choice for a heavy person. That is so because they can provide resilience and pressure relief for the sleeping person.
However, the unique design of the mattresses is always what decides if the mattress is suitable for a heavy person or not. You can prefer an all-foam mattress or a spring mattress. If the unique design supports your weight and all your other requirements, that is the best type for you.
What mattress firmness is suitable for heavyweight sleepers?
If the firmness varies anywhere from medium-firm to very firm can be suitable for a heavyweight sleeper. This kind of firmness may sound like an uncomfortable option. However, the firmness of a mattress is very subjective. It is only dependent on the way the materials in the mattress compress.
Hence, medium-firm or very firm mattresses can provide the necessary support. The compression of the materials can also give a heavy person the required comfort and the perfect balance of bounciness.
If you like a mattress that can make you feel like you are sinking into it, then a firm and extra soft mattress will be good. If it has pressure relief features, this can be an excellent addition.
However, if you like a little less contouring, a very firm mattress can suit you. The mattress should not be less than medium-firm for a heavy person to get the most comfortable sleep on it.
How to choose a comfortable mattress for heavyweight sleepers with a bad back?
People usually choose a mattress for back pain based on the firmness of the mattress. It is a common belief that the mattress’s softness or firmness affects the back support.
However, it is only partly true. Yes, the firmness decides if a mattress is good for your back or not. Nonetheless, you should consider buying a mattress that suits your weight.
If it suits your weight, it will serve your back as well. The firmness is an indirect factor affecting the back support through the person’s weight.
So, if you are a heavy person, choosing a medium-firm or firmer mattress is always better than lesser firm mattresses. Even if the mattress with lesser firmness provides greater back support features, you should consider this.
On the other hand, if you are used to sleeping on mattresses too soft, you can pick a less firm mattress with extraordinary back support.
You may have to experiment with levels of firmness and the kind of back support the mattresses offer. However, there are numerous mattresses on the market just for you.
These mattresses can provide a heavyweight person with optimal firmness and excellent back support—for example, REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress and Brook and Wilde Lux Mattress.
How to choose a comfortable mattress for heavyweight sleepers who sleep hot?
If you are a heavy person who is also a hot sleeper, choosing the most suitable mattress can become tricky.
You might end up with a mattress that may suit your weight and not body temperature or the other way around. Hence, some essential factors to consider can keep you from making mistakes.
An innerspring mattress with layers of foam can be the best choice for heavy people who are hot sleepers. That is so because when the body sinks into the mattress, the mattresses can provide the necessary airflow. The ventilation can ensure cooling throughout the night.
Synthetic foam layers or memory foam layers can retain heat and affect ventilation. On the other hand, a layered latex mattress can allow more airflow. It can be better if the latex is aerated.
However, it again boils down to the unique design of the mattress. Some mattresses that are not made of latex have excellent cooling capabilities. For example, Brook and Wilde Lux Mattress and REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress have.
Does the mattress’s thickness affect its weight limit?
It is a common misconception that the taller the mattresses are, the higher the weight limit. However, this can not be farther from the truth.
The components that make the mattress decide the mattresses’ weight capacity. For example, in a spring mattress, the features of the springs are the main deciding factor for the weight capacity. These features include the number of springs, the type of the springs, and the construction and placement of the spring.
Also, in the case of a foam mattress, the features and the type of foam decide the mattress’s weight capacity. If the foam is made of latex, the support may differ from pure memory foam.
However, innerspring mattresses typically have higher weight limits than memory foam or latex mattresses. Nevertheless, a hybrid mattress can be better than all of them.
Hence, the thickness of the mattress does not affect the weight limit. The sturdiness and the firmness of the mattress affect the weight limit of the mattress.
It does not matter if you are a heavy sleeper, hot sleeper, or out of the world sleeper. You should never settle for a mattress that does not provide you with the ultimate comfort you deserve.
All you have to remember is to check for its features such as firmness, materials used, thickness, etc. Or, you can just pick one from the list above that I curated just for you.