I believe orthopaedic mattresses are a boon for people like me with chronic back pain. Orthopaedic mattresses are valued for the support they provide to multiple types of sleepers, especially back sleepers.
So, what’s an orthopaedic mattress? An orthopaedic mattress supports the back, joints, hips, and overall body. They are developed under guidance from orthopaedics, focusing on deformities or disorders of the joints and spine.
Their design intends to combat pain you might feel with a bad back or joints. They are high in terms of firmness in offering tailored support.
Related Read: Best Mattress For Bad Backs
Adults with chronic back pain can relieve the issue by choosing the right mattress. An orthopaedic mattress for your weight, body type, and sleeping posture can reduce areas of aches and pains throughout the night. That will help to experience a better sleeping environment and energise your days.
Also, when buying a mattress, you need to be careful before picking an orthopaedic mattress. That is because what many manufacturers sell is a firm mattress by naming them an orthopaedic mattress.
It would be best to not confuse orthopaedic mattresses with firm mattresses, which many people find suitable to sleep on. It can make it confusing for you to pick the right orthopaedic mattress.
I have put my years of experience reviewing mattresses to help you find the best orthopaedic mattress. So, keep reading to see what’s in store for you.
- Sleepeezee Classic Ortho 800 Pocket Mattress – Best For Side Sleepers
- Sealy Millionaire Orthopaedic Mattress – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- Rest Assured Venice 1400 Pocket Ortho Mattress – Best For Combo Sleepers
- – Best For Couples
- – Best For Hot Sleepers
- – Best For Back Pain
My Top Pick – REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress
- The spring count is a high 2000 firm springs.
- 50 mm open-cell memory foam layers of comfort
- Excellent temperature regulation
- Highly durable mattress
- Hot sleepers: This mattress provides excellent temperature regulation. Even hot sleepers can find a cool sleeping environment in this mattress.
- Couples: It has the required motion isolation for couples with different sleeping habits.
- Heavyweight sleeper: The firmness is excellent and high enough for a heavyweight sleeper. It is one of the best mattresses for a heavyweight sleeper.
- Lightweight sleeper: I would not recommend this for a lighter than average weight sleeper since it is too firm for them.
- Stomach sleeper: It can be too firm and harsh for stomach sleepers. Hence, not the best choice for stomach sleepers.
My top pick for the list of the best orthopaedic mattress is REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress. I chose this for various reasons, and we shall discuss it below.
This mattress has a spring count of 2,000 firm springs 15 cm high. These springs are encapsulated in a premium pocket to provide unrivalled back and neck support.
Plus, this is a hybrid mattress. It has a 50 mm open-cell memory foam comfort layer. The layer ensures the mattress is cool and breathable throughout the night.
It can be an excellent choice if you are a hot sleeper. When I continuously slept on it for numerous nights, I realised how cool it could keep you all night. I did not wake up in the middle of the night, not even once, for being all sweaty, which is usual.
This mattress provides advanced temperature regulation. As I mentioned earlier, it can keep you cool all night by ensuring the mattress won’t heat up.
REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress has a zoned memory foam that provides pressure-relieving comfort. You can sleep all night like a baby even when you have back problems.
This mattress performs perfectly for heavyweight sleepers as well. It can handle up to 20 stones per sleeper.
Let me say it; the 2000 premium pocket springs are excellent. They have undergone rigorous testing. The manufacturers have employed sleep research to create the best orthopaedic mattress for back sleepers.
The springs are 15 cm in height to ensure adequate support and motion isolation when your partner moves. That will provide an undisturbed and peaceful sleep.
The zoned pressure relief can vary its density levels to deliver precise support and comfort in targeted areas. That will ensure support to different areas of the body. Also, it can provide pressure relief in pressure point build-up areas.
It has a unique open cell memory foam that provides advanced temperature regulation. Unlike standard memory foam mattresses, this mattress will not heat up as quickly.
Many sleep experts believe that overheating is the cause of waking during sleep. That will disturb our sleep cycle and our overall rest. Hence, to avoid this, REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress provides an excellent level of cooling.
Moreover, this mattress comes with a 100-night free sleep trial. You can sleep on it for 100 days and see if it is correct. If you do not like it, you can return it with a full refund. Also, REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress comes with a 15-year guarantee.
Best Pick for Side Sleepers – Sleepeezee Classic Ortho 800 Pocket Mattress
- Individual springs wrapped in cloth pockets
- Soft white fibres provide great comfort.
- The materials used are hypoallergenic.
- Provides excellent pressure relief
- Side sleepers: This Sleepeezee Mattress is manufactured for side sleepers. I am a side sleeper and found this mattress very beneficial for a night of undisturbed restful sleep.
- Back sleepers: It is perfectly suitable for back sleepers since it can provide reliable spinal alignment. That will ensure support for back sleepers.
- Couples: This mattress features a good level of motion isolation, making it an excellent choice for couples.
- Combo sleepers: Although responsiveness is good, it is not good enough for a combo sleeper. Hence, this is not the best choice for combo sleepers.
- Stomach sleepers: It can be too harsh for stomach sleepers. Hence, if you sleep primarily on your front, I’d suggest you not pick this mattress.
Next up, I have the best orthopaedic mattress for side sleepers. Although most orthopaedic mattresses are designed for back sleepers, this one is excellent for side sleepers.
This mattress provides an excellent balance between support and comfort to ensure a night full of well-rested sleep. That will let you experience waking up all refreshed in the morning.
It is a medium-to-firm feel ortho mattress. It has 8,000 individual pocket springs that provide an optimal level of firmness for back sleepers and side sleepers.
Each spring is in its high-quality fabric pocket. The springs move independently to provide support tailor-made to your body shape. That ensures one can sleep all night comfortably without being disturbed.
These individual pocket springs also absorb movement. Plus, it ensures motion isolation. That means you can share the bed with someone who tosses and turn a lot. It can be an excellent choice for couples with different sleeping styles.
Classic Ortho 800 Pocket Mattress by Sleepeezee provides a firmness level that is more than average. That will ensure an excellent spinal alignment level and even weight distribution.
It is made of fresh and breathable comfort fibres to cushion your body while providing temperature regulation. That will ensure the mattress remains cool all night to give a night of uninterrupted sleep.
Classic Ortho 800 Pocket Mattress by Sleepeezee has a smooth, superior quality damask cover finishing. Plus, it has woollen tufts that keep the comfort fillings secure.
That is also an easy to maintain mattress since it a single-sided and does not require any turn. However, it is recommended to rotate it from top to bottom once in two to three months. That is to make sure there is even weight distribution across the mattress throughout usage.
Also, this mattress comes with in-built turning handles. That can make it easy to rotate or move around wherever you want to quickly.
Classic Ortho 800 Pocket Mattress by Sleepeezee has chrome air vents. These vents are positioned strategically along with the side panels across the mattress. That will allow excess moisture to evaporate and heat to diminish. You can sleep fresh and cool throughout the night for the entire service period of the mattress.
This mattress is made in the UK in compliance with all the strict rules and regulations. Plus, it comes with five years guarantee. That can ensure the mattress’s durability, and you can invest in it confidently.
Most Comfortable Pick – Millbrook Wool Ortho 1000 Pocket Mattress
- Excellent balance between support and softness
- It is a medium-to-firm feel ortho mattress.
- Pocket springs ensure motion isolation.
- Excellent weight distribution
- Couples: Millbrook Wool Ortho 1000 Pocket Mattress can provide the level of responsiveness couples need. It will ensure a peaceful sleeping experience even when they have different sleeping habits.
- Combo sleepers: This mattress can benefit combo sleepers since it provides a high level of responsiveness and body contouring. It is effective even when you move around a lot, making it perfect for combo sleepers.
- Back sleepers: The firmness is high enough for back sleepers. Also, it has excellent spinal alignment properties.
- Stomach sleepers: It is better to avoid if you are a stomach sleeper.
- Side sleepers: The alignment and support are not suitable for the shoulders and hips. Hence, it is better to avoid it if you are a side sleeper.
Millbrook Wool Ortho 1000 Pocket Mattress is one of the most comfortable picks. It is an excellent choice for anyone looking for the best orthopaedic mattress.
This mattress has a Hampshire wool comfort filling. It has 100% original Hampshire fleece wool fillings. This springy and resilient mattress has numerous properties that make it very comfortable.
Related Read: Best Mattress For Hip Pain
Let me elaborate as you read on. It has a thick and full structure that is perfectly balanced with a natural bounce. That will ensure a good night’s sleep for years to come.
The materials used in this mattress are made of breathable wool. Wool has natural insulation properties, which means it can keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. That can be perfect for someone who likes a naturally cool sleeping environment.
Also, the mattress is traditionally hand-tufted to enhance support and keep all the luxury fillings in place in a firm and secured way. That can improve the reliability of the mattress over long-term usage.
It has 1,000 pocket springs that are individually hand nested to provide various sleepers with tailor-made support. They react only in the places where pressure is applied. That is possible because of the active workings of the spring.
I’d highly recommend this for combo sleepers and couples with different sleeping styles. That is because of its high responsiveness and motion isolation capacities owing to the hand-nested springs.
It also comes with reinforced mattress edges on both sides. The two rows of side stitching provide excellent edge-to-edge support. This way, you can enjoy a peaceful sleep without the possibility of rolling off.
The top cover is an incredibly soft blend of cotton and viscose. That can provide durability, support, and breathability for the surface.
Millbrook Wool Ortho 1000 Pocket Mattress is straightforward to look after as well. Even though it is a double-sided mattress, it comes with turning handles on both sides. You will have to flip it regularly once every three months to keep it in good condition. You can turn it in using the turn handles.
The top cover is also infused with M-pure, a 100% natural plant-based treatment. That provides fire resistance to the mattress materials without using any chemicals that can be harsh on human skin.
The National Bed Federation approves this hand-made mattress.
Moreover, it comes with a ten-years warranty. With this warranty, you can sleep with extra comfort. Additionally, it comes with a sixty-night sleep trial. This trail will allow you to sleep on it for 30 to 60 nights and see yourself if you like it.
Best Pick for Back Sleepers – Sealy Millionaire Orthopaedic Mattress
- Features Sealy’s Posture Tech core support spring system
- It is a highly responsive mattress.
- Beautiful and breathable covers
- Excellent level of comfort
- Back sleepers: It is substantially firm to support back sleepers. Also, it provides excellent spinal alignment.
- Heavyweight sleepers: The firmness is perfectly optimised for sleepers who weigh above average. Hence, I’d suggest this for heavyweight sleepers.
- Combo sleepers: It provides good responsiveness and body contouring for people who toss and turn in their sleep. This mattress can be an excellent choice for combo sleepers.
- Hot sleepers: The mattress could have provided better cooling features for hot sleepers. I did not enjoy the temperature regulation in this mattress.
- Lightweight sleeper: This mattress is too firm for sleepers who weigh below average. Hence, it is better to avoid this mattress if you are a lightweight sleeper.
My next pick in this list of the best orthopaedic mattresses is Sealy’s famous mattress manufacturer. They have created this brand new mattress as a part of a 5-star partnership featuring the Millionaire Orthopaedic mattress.
It is an excellent firm mattress that provides an incredibly high level of comfort. The millionaire orthopaedic features Sealy’s Posture Tech Core support system, ensuring superb support and comfort.
Related Read: Top Mattresses For Back Sleepers
The springs in Sealy Millionaire Orthopaedic Mattress are designed to be super firm. That will ensure maximum support and an excellent level of spinal alignment. It can be a fantastic choice for back sleepers.
It also comes with the additional benefit of firmness, suitable for sleepers with heavier stature. Hence, it can be an excellent choice if you are a heavyweight sleeper.
The excellent combination of Sealy’s Posture Tech Core support spring system and the high-level firmness offers orthopedically superior support. That will ensure you do not have to compromise your comfort. You can sleep peacefully throughout the night.
It has a high level of spring count than other mattresses available on the market. That will ensure a higher level of comfort and response.
The high level of responsiveness provides you with excellent body contouring even when you move around a lot. That can make this mattress ideal for people who move around a lot in their sleep.
Also, the springs are covered with thick and comfortable layers of superior quality upholstery padding. These covers provide good thermal regulation. Although these mattresses offer good thermal regulation, it is not enough for hot sleepers.
The cover is made of gorgeous damask cover. It is breathable and beautiful. Also, it is hand-tufted expertly to ensure firmly. That will secure all the filling in place for enhanced durability and support.
Additionally, these beds are authorised by the Orthopaedic Advisory Board. That will ensure excellent orthopaedic support for people with back problems.
This mattress is approximately 28 cm (11 inches) deep, ensuring excellent support. Also, this Sealy Millionaire Orthopaedic Mattress is a perfect choice for various body types, including above-average body stature.
Also, the firmness can be too much for people with smaller than average stature. Hence, this may not be a perfect choice if you are a lightweight sleeper.
This mattress is designed in conjunction with leading scientists and orthopaedic surgeons. It is manufactured in the UK to comply with strict rules and regulations. This mattress ensures durability with its five-year guarantee. You can sleep peacefully on it for many years to come.
Best Value for Money – Bodyshape Ortho Memory Foam Mattress
- The reflex foam promotes excellent spinal alignment.
- It is naturally hypoallergenic.
- They are designed to distribute weight evenly.
- Soft and beautifully knitted cover
- Heavyweight sleepers: This mattress is an excellent choice for heavyweight sleepers. It provides the optimal level of firmness for sleepers who weigh above average.
- Back sleepers: The firmness level is high, providing support to the spine. That makes it an excellent choice for back sleepers.
- Couples: The responsiveness provided by this mattress is impressive. It will allow you to cuddle and sleep with your partner all night without disturbances.
- Stomach sleepers: It is better to avoid this highly firm mattress if you are a stomach sleeper.
- Lightweight sleeper: Like stomach sleepers, it is too high for lightweight sleepers.
Bodyshape Ortho Memory Foam Mattress is the best value for money mattress. If you are looking for a mattress that provides excellent orthopaedic support at one of the most affordable prices, this is the best choice. Honestly, I am surprised at the superb quality of the mattress at such a low price.
Bodyshape Ortho Memory Foam Mattress is a fantastic mattress exclusive to online shopping. This mattress features firm and orthopaedic support. It is ideal for people who prefer a firmer and supportive feel.
It is designed to provide support for sleepers in all the right places. That will ensure support and relief in pressure-relieving points. You can expect extra comfort for pressure areas in your back, shoulders, and hips.
It has a reflex foam base that provides a high level of reaction. That ensures a restful and undisturbed sleep even if you are a restless sleeper.
This mattress has an expert design with 3 cm of comfort layers. This layer is made from luxurious memory foam. It can soothe any sore pressure points, pains, and aches.
It is also good with temperature regulation. Suppose you are looking for a mattress that provides a good level of temperature regulation. It ensures a reflex foam base that supports your need for a peaceful night’s sleep.
It has a clever adaptive technology, and the Bodyshape Ortho Memory can keep you cool and fresh throughout the night. The cover is made of a soft-touch removable and washable cover, ensuring an extra-clean and hygienic sleeping environment. Bodyshape Ortho Memory Foam Mattress provides a cool and clean sleeping surface.
The covers are made of Fresche antimicrobial technology to prevent bacteria and dust mites. It can be a good choice for people with sensitive skin or who suffer from allergies.
This mattress is also straightforward to care for. Bodyshape Ortho Memory is a single-sided mattress, so you need not worry about turning it over. This mattress will arrive at your door vacuum-packed and rolled up for convenience.
This fire-resistant mattress is handcrafted in the UK. It supports our economy and helps reduce the impact on our environment.
Also, it is approved by the National Bed Federation, which ensures the highest standards of safety and quality. This durable mattress also comes with a three years guarantee.
Most Durable Pick – John Lewis & Partners Classic Collection Ortho Support 1000 Pocket Spring Mattress
- It has a ReActive Pocket Spring system
- The fabric is free from chemical treatment.
- 100 pocket springs for more support
- Cotton felt tufts provide a premium finish.
- Couples: This mattress provides a high level of responsiveness suitable for couples. Therefore, I’d suggest this for you or your partner is a restless sleeper and you want to sleep peacefully without disturbing each other.
- Heavyweight sleepers: It has 1,000 springs to provide a high level of firmness and support for a heavyweight sleeper.
- Side sleepers: It provides good shoulder and hip support. I’d highly recommend this mattress to side sleepers.
- Hot sleepers: Although it prevents overheating in normal sleepers, it lacks the optimal heat regulation for a hot sleeper.
- Stomach sleepers: Firmness is not optimal for front or stomach sleepers.
It is one of my favourites among the best orthopaedic mattress list. This mattress is a part of the John Lewis & Partners Classic Collection. Ortho Support 1000 range of mattresses provides excellent ortho support to numerous sleepers.
It is designed with multiple layered polycotton fillings and an assistive ReActive pocket spring system. It has a thousand springs placed in individual pockets in a king-sized model. This range of mattresses is perfect if you are looking for a highly responsive bed.
This range of mattresses is excellent in their reassuringly dense and supportive feel. If you are a heavyweight sleeper and want something extra firm, I’d highly recommend this mattress.
The ReActive Pocket Spring system is incorporated to provide a tailored response and support. That will ensure an excellent level of body contouring even when you are moving around a lot. The manufacturers have also added extra comfort layers for a more cushioning effect: these blend soft white fibres, superior quality naturally sourced cotton fillings, and a polyester duo pad.
These are designed to maintain a healthy airflow all night. Although this mattress is an excellent choice for hot sleepers, I felt it was not efficient enough. I woke up several times in the night, feeling sweaty and steamy. So, I would not recommend this to anyone who sleeps hot.
The top cover is soft and beautiful. It provides a comfortable sleeping surface. It has cotton felt tufts and two rows of hand side-stitching to give a premium finish.
The mattress is also free of chemical fabric treatment. Usually, many mattress manufacturers use various types of chemical treatment to provide a fire retardant product. That can cause allergies and other forms of breathing disorders in people.
Hence, John Lewis & Partners have entirely avoided any chemical treatment. They have used only a chemical-free and natural fire retardant finish. That will also ensure a step forward towards sustainability.
However, this is not the most uncomplicated mattress to maintain since it is double-sided. You will have to turn and rotate it regularly to ensure it lasts long and stays efficient for a long time.
Additionally, this mattress comes with a sixty nights trial. With this option, you can see if you like it, and if you don’t, you can return it immediately.
Moreover, this mattress has a seven years guarantee period as well. You can sleep peacefully on this mattress, knowing it will last longer and stay reliable.
- It is an extra firm mattress
- It has 1,500 pocket springs.
- The fibre fillings are 100% polyester.
- It has handles on both sides to help during rotation.
- People with back pain: This mattress has an extra high firmness which can provide a sense of relief for people with back pain. I felt its effects.
- People with severe back pain: I’d recommend this mattress for people with a painful back. However, it is better to consult your physician before making the final choice.
- Heavyweight sleepers: The firmness is high enough to suit heavyweight sleepers.
- Stomach sleepers: The firmness is not suitable for stomach sleepers as it is too high.
- Side sleepers: It does not provide support for the shoulders and hips. Hence, I do not recommend this for side sleepers.
It is a fantastic range of mattresses by Relyon. Relyon has been in the mattress business since the 19th century. They are one of the leading brands in bed manufacturing in the UK.
I found numerous reasons for this mattress to make it to the list of the best orthopaedic mattress. Firstly, they are made in Britain and are one of those mattresses you can genuinely trust to be excellent.
I’d highly recommend it to people looking for mattresses with a high level of support. You can also pick this one even if you don’t need orthopaedic help but look for something firmer and not very soft.
Let me explain to you why this mattress is so very reliable. This mattress provides extra firmness. It is designed to help people who suffer from severe back pain. I vouch for this feature because it was perfect for my back all night.
It features about 1,500 individually packed pocket springs in a king-sized mattress. The top surface is also very densely cushioned with fillings that support the silent spring system. The quiet and effective functioning of this mattress makes this mattress very appealing.
The upholstering in this mattress is blended with numerous materials to ensure the best possible fillings. It has natural cotton fillings as well as superior quality polyester fillings.
The robust polyester ensures a durable filling, whereas the cotton used regulates the body temperature by increasing fresh airflow. It has moisture-wicking properties to provide a dry, cool, and clean sleeping surface. Plus, all the fillings are secured together via hand tufting. That also adds to the tension of the mattress.
This mattress is suitable for people with a heavier than average stature. So, I’d highly recommend this to you if you are a heavyweight sleeper.
However, this mattress is a little challenging to maintain. It requires you to rotate and turn the mattress regularly since it is a double-sided mattress. You will have to rotate it once in two to three months.
By doing so, you can increase the durability and reliability of the mattress. Also, the two sides provide an even weight distribution, unlike most other single-sided beds. Plus, it comes with a handle to make it easier to rotate.
This mattress is rated a score of 2 for low hazard and general domestic use by Domestic flammability. Relyon Ultimate Ortho Support 1500 Pocket Sprung Mattress also comes with an eight-year manufacturer’s guarantee against material faults and artistry.
Best Pick for Combo Sleepers – Rest Assured Venice 1400 Pocket Ortho Mattress
- 1400 individual pocket springs wrapped in clothes
- The materials used are hypoallergenic.
- Easy to maintain the single-sided mattress
- Free of chemical treatment
- Couples: Rest Assured Venice 1400 Pocket Ortho Mattress is an excellent choice for couples. It provides a high level of motion isolation suitable for partners with different sleeping habits.
- Combo sleepers: This mattress is good for combo sleepers since it has good, responsive features. Also, it can provide spinal alignment in any position, even if you move around a lot all night.
- Back sleepers: The firmness is high enough and provides impressive spinal alignment. It is an excellent choice for back sleepers.
- Lightweight sleepers: It is too firm for lightweight sleepers. Therefore, if your weight is lesser than the average weight, I’d suggest avoiding this mattress.
- Stomach sleepers: Like most ortho mattresses, the firmness may be too harsh for stomach sleepers.
My final pick in this list of the best orthopaedic mattress is the Rest Assured Venice 1400 Pocket Ortho Mattress. It is a high-quality mattress that provides an optimal level of firmness required for orthopaedic support.
I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping on this mattress because all the while, during testing, I woke you feeling rested and refreshed. The orthopaedic and firm feel of this mattress accommodated my back problems. So, I’d highly recommend this one, even though this is the last on my list.
You can experience a high level of personalised support provided by the 1400 pocket springs. These springs are made of superior quality metals that last longer and do not squeak at any point of usage.
The springs in this mattress are not interconnected like ordinary mattresses. The springs are kept in individual pockets to work independently of one another. That means it will provide you with excellent body contouring.
Also, it can absorb all your movements throughout the night. This mattress is highly responsive, and it provides contouring even for a restless sleeper. I’d pick this if I were a restless sleeper needing an orthopaedic mattress.
Additionally, responsiveness can be helpful if you and your partner have different sleeping positions. This mattress can provide a reliable level of motion isolation suitable for couples.
Rest Assured Venice 1400 Pocket Ortho Mattress has multiple upholstery layers to ensure comfort. All the fillings are ethically sourced and derived from one hundred per cent recycled materials. That could be one of the best choices if you care about the environment.
The mattress has a breathable top layer. The comfort layer can provide your body with cushioning support and a breathable surface.
It has a spring texture made of polyester. That will allow a fair amount of fresh air circulation across the mattress. It can prevent you from overheating even if you are a hot sleeper.
The cover is also knitted using supersoft fabric that ensures a soft sleeping surface. Also, it is hand-tufted to provide secure and prolonged holding of the mattress upholstery.
That is also very easy to maintain mattress since it is a single-sided one. It does not require any flipping, but you must rotate it once in a few weeks to ensure durability.
Additionally, this is an excellent choice if you are allergic to certain chemicals because it is made of hypoallergenic materials. The natural materials protect against fungal infestation and dust mites.
This mattress is handcrafted in Lancashire in compliance with safety regulations. You can sleep peacefully knowing that you have invested in a durable mattress. It comes with a five-year manufacturer’s guarantee.
FAQ’s – Best Orthopedic Mattress
If you have any more doubts regarding the best orthopaedic mattress, I hope this section can help you –
What is the difference between a memory foam mattress and an orthopaedic mattress?
Memory foam mattresses and orthopaedic mattresses have similar functions of keeping the spine aligned. However, it is crucial to understand that these two types of mattresses are differently designed for particular needs.
Memory foam mattresses are manufactured using viscoelastic materials. It was initially designed by NASA to provide passengers and pilots protection in aeroplanes. Although it was created in the 1970s, it came to be used in a mattress only in the early 1990s.
An orthopaedic mattress is designed to provide support for the spine. However, no one particular material is certified as orthopaedic material. Numerous manufacturers create orthopaedic mattresses. They are usually based on research and sleep experts’ opinions.
If you suffer from spinal alignment or joint issues, you can purchase an orthopaedic mattress. Suppose all you need is excellent back support, and you do not have any problems regarding spinal alignment. In that case, you can buy a memory foam mattress.
Both memory foam and orthopaedic mattresses can help in improving your sleep. Although both are different, you can find an orthopaedic mattress with memory foam.
If you can not decide which one to pick, you can always go for an orthopaedic mattress with memory foam.
Are orthopaedic mattresses any good?
To answer in one word, yes. An orthopaedic mattress is excellent. As I mentioned earlier, it is a boon for people like me who suffer from chronic back pain. They help in relieving pain and providing a firm sleeping environment.
Let me explain why they are fantastic for not just people who are suffering from back pain. They are also suitable for anyone looking for a firm mattress.
Firstly, they provide a maximum level of support, unlike regular mattresses. You will get the optimum level of push-back for a perfect sleeping position.
Secondly, the best orthopaedic mattress can provide an even weight distribution. That means preventing pressure build-ups at sensitive parts, particularly the back, neck, and hips.
They also correct spinal alignment. An orthopaedic mattress is primarily designed to correct spinal alignment. This way, one can be relieved of numerous back problems.
Besides, they are available in a wide range of choices. It includes natural fillings or memory foam fillings. You can pick whatever you want based on which you feel is the most comfortable.
Plus, orthopaedic mattresses can last for up to seven to ten years. That will ensure they are worth the money you have spent on them.
How long does an orthopaedic mattress last?
The best orthopaedic mattress can last up to seven to ten years if maintained properly. However, similar to other types of mattresses, I’d suggest you change your mattress every seven to eight years. That is especially crucial for orthopaedic mattresses.
On the other hand, the upholstery and fillings would have weakened. That can impact the orthopaedic properties of your mattress. Even if you feel the mattress is functioning just fine after seven years, I’d still suggest you change it.
That will ensure your pains in the back and joint do not re-emerge. So to sum it up, it lasts up to an average of seven years.
What are the disadvantages of orthopaedic mattresses?
Although orthopaedic mattresses have numerous advantages that outweigh disadvantages, there are some drawbacks you should know. Firstly, they are relatively priced higher than other types of mattresses. That is why I made sure to pick only the mattresses that provide an excellent value for money. Most of the options listed above are budget-friendly.
Also, an orthopaedic mattress is quite heavy and bulky. That means it is pretty challenging to transport these mattresses.
Besides, since most orthopaedic mattresses provide a high level of firmness, it is nearly impossible to find one suitable for a stomach sleeper. The same applies to lightweight sleepers as well.
Does an orthopaedic mattress help back pain?
To answer shortly, yes. An orthopaedic mattress is designed to provide a firmer sleeping surface. Plus, they provide targeted support for your joints, neck, and back.
The field of orthopaedics mainly studies the function of all the joints, including the spinal cord. Hence, applying the principles from orthopaedic studies, these mattresses ensure excellent support for your back. That, in turn, is good for back pain and other problems related to joints and neck.
I hope my mattress addiction came in handy when you needed it the most. I also hope you find the best orthopaedic mattress that is the most suitable for you. Moreover, it should help you alleviate back pain and provide you with the most comfortable sleep.