I am perpetually jet-lagged, travelling back and forth between Thailand and the UK to spend time with my girlfriend. Now I don’t have to spell it out for you, but let’s just say my sleeping pattern is messed up real bad.
With my sleeplessness, chronic back problems and shoulder injuries, it has always been impossible to fall asleep. My back problems start to act up, especially when trying to fall asleep.
Even though I’m a side sleeper, I’ve found that sleeping on my back alleviates the pain from my back injuries. So, I went on a journey to discover some of the best mattresses that would be great for back sleepers.
Let’s put my mattress knowledge to the test and check out some of the best mattresses for back sleepers. I hope my experience with these mattresses is helpful for you in finding the ideal mattress!
- Best mattress for back sleepers with lower back pain
- Best mattress topper for back sleepers
- Best hybrid mattress for back sleepers
- What mattress firmness is best for back sleepers?
- Best mattress for heavy back sleepers
Best Value – Saatva Classic Hybrid Queen Bed Mattress
- Foam Lumbar Support is excellent for spinal alignment.
- The mattresses come in three different firmness levels meaning it’s suitable for everyone.
- Comprises 884 separate comfort coils that promote airflow and contoured support.
- Constructed with eco-friendly materials and approved by Chiropractors.
- Heavyweight sleepers: People who weigh more than 60 kgs will enjoy the comfy feel of the coil system that will hug their spine.
- Hot sleepers: The 884 individually pocketed comfort coils keep the air flowing and keep you cool and breezy throughout the night.
- Couples: If you and your partner can’t decide on the firmness level, you can settle for the ‘luxury firm’ support. It is comforting and gives enough support for back sleepers and average weight sleepers.
- Back sleepers: With multiple memory foam layers, your back will have ample pressure support in all mattress areas.
- Lightweight sleeper: If you’re a lightweight back sleeper, you will like the ‘plush soft’ firmness level of the mattress, but it might be too cushiony for some people.
- Side sleeper: Although the mattress has three firmness options, it is unsuitable for side sleepers who need less tension.
Back sleepers have varying comfort levels and firmness needs from their mattress. It can be confusing to find the best mattress for back sleepers. Suppose you’re looking for overall value for money and unique features. In that case, the Saatva Classic is an excellent choice for back sleepers.
With a mix of foam layers and a dual coil system, Saatva Classic is a hybrid mattress. It also has a plush pillow top for that heavenly head support. All these layers come together to form unique contoured support for back sleepers. What’s great is that you can even customise your firmness level by choosing from three different options.
You’ll like the’ plush soft’ firmness if you’re a lightweight back sleeper who occasionally sleeps on the side. The hotel standard ‘luxury firm’ level will be ideal for average weight to heavyweight sleepers. If you’re strictly a back sleeper and want the no-nonsense firm and contoured support, the firmness level is what you’re looking for.
Even though I’m mostly a side sleeper, the ‘luxury firm’ Saatva Classic mattress was great for my girlfriend and me. Although she doesn’t have any sleeping issues, she loves the cushiony soft feel of this mattress.
Like most hybrid mattresses are amazing for hot sleepers, I found the Saatva Classic to have excellent temperature control. I experienced a cool night’s sleep which was surprising because I usually run hot when cuddling with my girlfriend.
The knit cover is organic cotton, making the Saatva Classic mattress hypo allergic and soft to touch. The Euro top cushioning and the deep-pocketed coil system make the mattress great for pressure relief and contoured support!
The Saatva Classic strikes the perfect balance between a heavenly soft feel and firm tension for back support. So, if you’re looking for an all-rounder, this is the best mattress for back sleepers.
Best for Lightweight Sleepers – Cocoon Chill Memory Foam Mattress
- Great cooling cover that keeps hot sleepers breezy and chilled.
- Excellent motion isolation for undisturbed sleep.
- The medium firmness of the mattress is ideal for back sleepers.
- It supports spine alignment for a weightless feel while sleeping.
- Lightweight sleepers: The Cocoon Chill memory foam mattress is excellent for lightweight sleepers looking for pressure support and a firm feel.
- Back sleepers: The multiple layers of memory foam adapt to the body’s contour to give you ample support while falling asleep.
- Hot sleepers: The cooling cover layer on the Cocoon Chill memory foam dissipates heat quickly and keeps your body temperature cool.
- Couples: With impressive motion isolation technology, you can have a quiet night’s sleep with Cocoon Chill, especially if your partner tosses and turns.
- You tend to change positions during the night: The mattress lacks ample edge support, which means you might risk rolling off the bed.
- You are active in the bedroom: This Cocoon Chill mattress lacks bounce and is not responsive. Entirely made up of memory foam, the movements get restricted on this mattress.
This Cocoon mattress is called Chill, but let’s see if it’s true to its name. The mattress is made specifically for contoured support; back sleepers will love the firm feel of this mattress. This mattress is excellent for lightweight sleepers who will not sink into the bed with a medium-firm level feel.
Related Read: Top Rated Memory Foam Mattress
The memory foam comfort layer of the Cocoon Chill mattress gives support to the hips and back. It provides a comfortable, body-hugging feel that keeps the pressure off the spine and aligns it naturally. Best for average weight sleepers and lightweight sleepers, the mattress promotes healthy posture while sleeping.
The motion isolation feature is excellent because it doesn’t pass on the vibrations of movement. Instead, the mattress absorbs the motions, making sleeping with a partner or pet a more peaceful experience.
Since I am a side sleeper with chronic back problems, I found that this mattress gives a lot of pressure relief. It is considered the best mattress for back sleepers, and it can be great for side sleepers who want a body-hugging feel with enough support on pressure points. You will like the Cocoon Chill memory foam if you’re over 60 kgs and a side sleeper.
Best Luxury Pick – DreamCloud Premier
- Hybrid mattresses are made from innerspring coils and memory foam.
- Sports a heavenly cashmere Euro top for added cushioning.
- Luxury hybrid mattress with a hotel-like feel at an affordable price.
- With a luxury firm rating of 6.5, this hybrid mattress will suit many different sleepers with varied sleeping positions.
- Back sleepers: This mattress is heavenly for back sleepers with a luxury hotel like plush and contoured support.
- Hot sleepers: The cashmere cover keeps you dry and cool in summer and warm in winter. The hybrid mattress has individually wrapped coils and gel-infused layers that dissipate heat.
- Lightweight and average weight sleepers: Great spine support and curve-hugging feel; this mattress is excellent for average weight and lightweight side and back sleepers.
- Stomach sleeper: It is not ideal for stomach sleepers as it sinks the hips too much, making it uncomfortable to sleep.
- Looking for classic memory foam feel: Considering this is a hybrid, this mattress relieves pressure and has a bounce.
- Heavyweight sleeper: The mid-section of this mattress will sink, and heavyweight sleepers will have uncomfortable spinal alignment.
Do you want to feel like you’re lying down in the clouds? Do you prefer a soft and plushy feel without the sinking feeling? Then this DreamCloud Premier hybrid mattress has everything you want.
Beautifully crafted with six layers for the utmost comfort and luxe feel, this DreamCloud Premier is the best mattress for back sleepers. The innermost individual pocketed coil system hugs the curves of your body to give you a soft cushiony feel and ample support.
You can sleep undisturbed with fantastic motion isolation technology while your partner tosses and turns. The wrapped coils absorb the motion vibrations keeping you from feeling any movements. Although it has motion isolation, it doesn’t prohibit activity on the mattress. It means you can easily change positions without feeling like you have the entire weight of the world on your shoulders.
I appreciated the gel memory foam and cashmere cover’s airflow because I’m a hot sleeper. Mostly I sleep on my sides, so I was surprised to see the mattress hold up the contouring. This DreamCloud Premier mattress has a 6.5 firmness rating which means that many sleepers will find this comfortable.
I experienced excellent pressure relief and cradling with the added contoured support of the plush Euro-top layers. With memory foam and a thick coiled core, you never feel the sinking feeling when resting on this mattress.
Apart from contoured support, I love this mattress most because it’s an affordable hybrid that gives a bouncy luxury feel. Almost like you’re sleeping in a 5-star hotel every night, you will soundly dose off to the soft plush feel of this decadent DreamCloud Premier mattress.
UK’s Most awarded Mattress- Emma Mattress Original
- Composed of high-quality foam that combines some superior quality foams selected by experts. Multiple breathable layers to have comfy cool sleep without breaking a sweat.
- An Airgocell foam layer absorbs the moisture and maintains a smooth airflow through it.
- Unique motion isolation properly for an undisturbed good night’s sleep.
- Specially engineered HRX foam provides proper alignment for your back and gives complete support.
- Lightweight and medium weight sleepers: You should consider this mattress if you wake up easily by slight movements. The Airgocell foam layer has remarkable motion isolation properties that keep all disturbances at bay.
- Those suffering from aches and pains: This mattress is made with a superior quality HRX foam that provides ample support to your spine. It also offers counter pressure on your back, so the spine stays aligned with the mattress. It reduces any pain or aches you feel due to a lack of proper support.
- Couples: The high-quality multiple layer construction has open pores that promote breathability. As a result, your body stays cool, and you can snuggle with your partner without sweating! Also, if you have a partner who keeps causing a commotion in bed, the airgocell technology will take care of it. No movement will reach you, and you can sleep all night peacefully.
- Stomach sleepers: If you are someone who prefers to sleep on their stomach, this mattress might not be the best option for you. Because of being very soft, it might not provide the proper support needed in this position.
- Heavyweight sleepers: Most heavy sleepers require a supportive frame for maximum comfort. The Emma can be a little too soft for taste.
- Need edge support: The bed edges are less firm and can sink lower than average when placed underweight.
Emma’s original mattresses are hands down the bestselling mattresses in the town! These foamy perfections are tailor-made to do justice to all the needs of a back sleeper. With superior quality foam and focused engineering, this mattress is an excellent choice if you sleep the way I do!
One of the highlighting features of this mattress is its Airgocell technology. The mattress is made with multiple high-quality foam layers, including the memory form.
The memory foam is supported underneath by excellent quality foams to make the Airgocell foam layers. These layers perform well when it comes to moisture absorption. As a result, there is no restriction to airflow through the mattress.
This makes the Emma mattress a perfect choice for all weathers.
Apart from that, the Airgocell foam offers a unique motion isolation property. So, if you have a lively partner who loves to torque around in their sleep, this mattress will ensure those movements don’t reach you. Hence, you can enjoy an undisturbed sleep all night long.
I suffer from back and neck pain, so I know how important it is to get a mattress that can provide the necessary support. That is why the Emma mattress is one of my choices! After using this mattress, you will notice a significant difference. The aches and pains haunting you in the past will go away.
They use an HRX foam that keeps your spine in perfect alignment throughout the night. It means you have all the support you need without even knowing it.
The mattress does not accumulate pressure at one point; it distributes it across the mattress. An even distribution of pressure ensures that your body is not given any upward push, and you can settle in comfortably.
A lot of people, including me, tend to sweat in sleep. The situation becomes worse if your mattresses’ are not breathable and restrict the airflow.
Since the Emma mattress is not your traditional memory foam construction, you won’t face the problem of breathability. All superior foam layers have open pores that allow proper and unrestricted airflow.
You will stay comfortable and cool throughout the night and sleep undisturbed.
The class ‘A’ construction is not the only thing Emma mattresses offer. There is a reason why they are the bestselling mattress in the UK, and they stick by the title religiously.
Everybody is different and takes their own sweet time adjusting to something new. The people at Emma know how challenging it can be to break into a new mattress. They respect the different transition periods for everyone.
Emma offers their customers a 200-night trial to check the adaptability of the mattress to their bodies. This generous period gives you a lot of time to see if your body adjusts to the new mattress change.
You can surely take your time and enjoy the new mattress till you are 100% sure about it.
This mattress is made to last you a lifetime. It is not a regular mattress that will lose its structural integrity and ask for a replacement in a couple of years. That is why the company backs their perfect mattresses with a ten-year-long promise of quality.
Though highly unlikely, you can connect with the company and get it fixed!
Their roomy and spacious mattress can be a delightful addition to your bedroom. With a cool and comfy feel combined with proper support and no disturbance, you can have the best sleep of your life when you drop on this mattress.
It is indeed a perfect choice for back sleepers.
Most advanced mattress – Simba Hybrid Pro
- A perfect combination of spring and foam gives the ideal comfort and support for a good night’s sleep.
- Use patented Aerocoil springs made from titanium and manufactured in the UK.
- Two layers of foam above and beneath the spring layer for proper weight distribution and complete edge support.
- Breathable sleep top that keeps the upper surface as cool as possible.
- Firmness preferences: The hybrid gel and foam technology give this mattress a level of firmness that bods well for every type of sleeper.
- For heavy sleepers: The advanced technology used in making this mattress allows an even distribution of body weight across the surface. As a result, what is get is some quality grade gravity-defying comfort.
- Hot sleepers: The breathable top surface maintains a steady airflow in the region where it is needed. You will feel cool and comfy through the night with this mattress.
- Soft mattress preferences: If you like the feel of a soft mattress that allows you to sink in like a cloud, then this might not be a suitable choice.
- Light sleeper: No technology or material makes this mattress allow motion isolation. So, if you are disturbed by slight movements, you might want to look into it.
- Side sleepers: Strict side sleepers, especially lightweight and of average weight, will experience far too much pressure on hips and shoulders due to a lack of support and firmness.
Simba Hybrid Pro mattresses stand by their title as one of the most advanced mattresses ever seen. It does not just use the most superior quality material for its making. Still, it also combines unique technologies to deliver supreme comfort.
These mattresses are super lux and loaded with comfort and support for all sleepers. And if you are a picky back sleeper like me, this mattress should make your list.
The company has done thorough research in developing the perfect mattress for its customers. Their mattress provides nothing but a gravity-defying comfort for everyone.
The Hybrid Pro model by Simba is made with seven different layers, each contributing to the uniqueness of the construction. These layers provide the absolute balance necessary to get a good night’s sleep.
The breathable top layer of the Simba Hybrid pro makes it so different from the previous Simba Hybrid model with six layers. The addition of this one layer makes a huge difference to the comfort this mattress offers.
The breathable top layer allows proper ventilation of air through the mattress.
Airflow is a must to ensure that there isn’t excessive water retention and the surface remains cool and dry. Many mattresses don’t concentrate on this feature on the top and distribute it throughout. As a result, the top remains hot and moist.
With the breathable top layer in the hybrid pro, you will feel the coolness and comfort throughout the night.
I have seen myself stuck on whether I want a spring mattress or a foam mattress. But with Simba Hybrid Pro, both my wishes are granted. The hybrid pro comes with six layers, evenly distributing the spring to foam ratio.
The company uses a patented Aerocoil spring made and manufactured in Leeds, UK. The springs are made from titanium, giving them the extra bounce and firmness needed to support the back.
The spring layer provides ample support to the back as it helps the foam contour your back. It keeps the spine aligned to the mattress, reducing any gaps that can cause pain or stiffness. It makes a perfect choice for those who sleep on the back and those who sleep on their side.
Another benefit of the Aerocoil layer is the even weight distribution.
When you sleep on a mattress, you exert downward pressure. As a result, the mattress provides a counter pressure. This pressure can cause pain in regions like your lower back, sides and neck.
The Aerocoil layer in Simba Hybrid Pro distributes the pressure exerted by your body throughout the mattress. Therefore, the counter-pressure also decreases, and you feel comfortable throughout your sleep.
The movement isolation is not as impressive in this mattress. However, it still isolates the maximum movement of anyone else sitting or sleeping on the bed. Small movements might get diluted, but significant shifts like some thrashing on the mattresses are still felt.
Even though the top cover of the mattress is not removable, maintaining it is not very difficult. You can spot clean it using a damp cloth with slow circular motions.
Simba respects the adjustment period of everybody and gives a 200 nights trial period to test the mattress. You are entitled to a full refund if you are not happy with the performance even after the full completion of 200 days.
It is also backed by a ten-year-long warranty period. So you can use the mattress without any fear.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of mattress is specifically designed for back sleepers?
There are many types of mattresses designed to meet specific needs. They come in varying prices and features. In my experience, some of the best mattresses for back sleepers to explore in the market are:
Memory foam is extremely popular and offers terrific support due to its bouncy nature. It’s handy for isolating motion and providing back support.
Coil Mattresses: They’re one of the oldest forms of mattresses available in the market, and for a good reason! The pressure produced by placing lumbar weight on the coils helps alleviate backaches. However, coil mattresses require more maintenance and can be noisier side.
Toppers: Topper mattresses are made of a variety of materials. Along with memory foam mattresses, they are best for providing spinal support and helping joints.
When should you replace your mattress?
My back aches get exacerbated if the quality of my mattress is woebegone and lowly. Hence, I must look for signs of replacement consistently. Typically, a good mattress should last between six to seven years before wear and tear are inevitable.
Increasing back pain, odd smell, tears, and bumps are vital signs of a terrible mattress. There are a few nifty hacks up my sleeve to elongate the lifespan of mattresses!
Firstly, I try to flip and rotate my mattress once every few months. That prevents bumps and creases. Also, it aids considerably with cooling!
Placing a waterproof sheet on the mattress can help prevent water from damaging and eroding the quality of the mattress.