Bed shopping can be a chore, especially if you have a partner with contrasting bed preferences like me. It’s always been a compromise of comfort for one of us. Because of my sleep obsession, my girlfriend and I are always trying new types of mattresses that combine our sleep preferences.
A zip link mattress was the solution to our vastly different comfort preferences. Apart from the obvious reasons, we needed zip link mattresses to make our bed portable. It can be easily packed and transported instead of carrying one large mattress.
We loved the convenience and bought zip link mattresses for our guestroom. With a different headboard design for the guestroom, we can easily make the king-size bed into two singles. That gives us the flexibility that we didn’t know was possible with one single mattress. So if my brothers ever come over, they can comfortably sleep on different beds without killing each other for bed space.
Having contrasting comfort preferences, I found balance in zip link mattresses. The liberty to mix and match different sleep preferences to develop the perfect zip link mattresses is genuinely revolutionary. It also helped us evaluate what features, like environmentally sustainable, natural ingredients, double-sided mattresses, affected our buying choices.
My girlfriend and I had much fun testing zip link mattresses with different firmness combinations. Our experience in trying zip link beds can offer you a unique perspective when you go bed shopping!
Let my experience be of some help. Let’s dive into the review of the best zip link mattresses!
- – Best For Side Sleepers
- – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- – Best For Combo Sleepers
- – Best For Couples
- – Best For Hot Sleepers
- Sleepeezee Royal Backcare Collection Backcare 1400 Pocket Double Sized Zip and Link Mattress – Best For Back Pain
- 1,000 individual pocket springs for medium to firm tension
- Double-sided zip link mattress, which makes it last longer by flipping
- Chrome air vents for circulation
- Damask cover that keeps the zip and link mattress hygienic
- For couples: The 1,000 individual pocket springs give exceptional support and comfort without disturbing your partner while you toss and turn at night.
- For heavyweight sleepers: The springs and natural fillings give medium level to firm tension, which is excellent for heavyweight sleepers and average-weight sleepers.
- For back pain: The edge support is excellent for people who have arthritis and chronic back pain.
- For hot sleepers: Chrome air vents give good air circulation to keep the mattress fresh and your body temperature optimal.
- Allergies: Stuffed with natural fillings like wool, this mattress can aggravate allergies, so stay away from this if you have allergies
- Lightweight sleeper: Most lightweight sleepers look for softer upper layers, which the individual pocket springs fail to provide.
Sleepeezee is one of the leading brands in mattresses across the UK, with many awards and accolades to its name. The Hotel Classic 1000 zip link mattress provides superior medium to firm support. It is a perfect double-sized mattress for the hospitality industry and your home. Why chase a goodnight’s sleep at the hotel when you can get it at home?
The zip link mattresses are an excellent option for heavyweight to average-weight sleepers. My girlfriend and I were most happy with the unique firm support, body contouring and springy comfort.
The luxurious and superior mattress doesn’t compromise my sleep much. This durable Hotel Classic 1000 zip link mattress will last you long. This Sleepeezee mattress features convenient flag-stitched handles, making it easier to turn. I experimented with the double-sided feature and also rotated the mattress to check the evenness of the natural wool and cotton fillings.
Moreover, this mattress has a Crib 5 fire safety that gives me immense peace of mind.
My mild back pain seemed to diminish with the edge support that maintained the mattress perfectly. The Hotel Classic 1000 Sleepeezee mattress gave us a comfortable and breathable feel. The 1,000 individual pocket springs gave contoured support to my back, making my back and side sleeping position more comfortable.
If you thought the multiple layers of this zip link mattress made it hot to sleep on, you’re wrong. The layer of cotton ensures you don’t feel hot.
Although I’m a hot sleeper (only when my girlfriend wants to cuddle before sleeping), the chrome vents on this mattress keep it feeling fresh. The air circulation makes your sleep easy-breezy without cranking the air conditioner.
Compared to other Sleepeezee mattresses, I preferred the Hotel Classic 1000 model because of its wide usability and durability for different sleepers. Resting on the cheaper side of the price spectrum, this zip link mattress is undeniably one of the best in the market today.
Great for couples, especially if you guys prefer natural fillings over memory foam. If you’re looking for a sturdy zip mattress for your link beds, then this Sleepeezee Hotel Classic 1000 is a great choice.
Related Read: Amazing Memory Foam Mattress Choices
Best for Heavyweight sleepers – The Ortho Gold Deluxe Zip Link Mattress By Hypnos
- ReActive 9 pocket spring system
- Comfortable cashmere layer
- Hygienic and breathable Cocona natural cover
- Orthopaedic tension firm support
- For heavyweight back sleepers: Full spinal, hips and lumbar support with firm orthopaedic tension from ReActive 9 pocket springs for back sleepers.
- For hot sleepers: The soft, breathable Solotex layer gives a cushioning effect that promotes airflow. The Cocona layer keeps you dry and hygienic all year round.
- For couples: This mattress delivers firm and comfortable support for couples with different weights and sleeping positions.
- Lightweight sleeper: The mattress does not have a distinct soft upper layer which will push back and cause discomfort to lightweight sleepers.
- Allergies: With a blend of natural and sustainable layers like Cocona, wool, eOlus sustainable fibre and cashmere, people with allergies can experience discomfort.
- Side Sleeper: The mattress’s medium to firm tension support is not ideal as it doesn’t brace the hips and shoulders well.
If you suffer from chronic back pain, this Ortho Gold Deluxe mattress by Hypnos is perfect for you. Suffering from backaches and shoulder aches since my adolescent years, I found this mattress’s orthopaedic firm tension support to be the most comfortable.
My girlfriend doesn’t have any back pain. However, she appreciated the cosiness of this mattress when sleeping on her side and occasionally stomach. The weight distribution across her hips and shoulders was equal in all her rare but unusual sleeping positions, making the Ortho Gold Deluxe zip link mattress by Hypnos unique.
The different ReActive 9 pocket spring system gives the feel of memory foam with the durability of pocket springs in the design. You can also feel the breezy ventilation from a single continuous pocket spring system. Great for hot sleepers, this zip link mattress promotes cosy and uninterrupted sleep.
With natural fillings like wool, cashmere and cotton, the Hypnos Ortho Gold Deluxe mattress adds a touch of grandeur to your bedding. From promoting hygiene to regulating body temperature, these layers enhance the plush yet firm feel of the mattress.
One of the Ortho Gold Deluxe Mattress’s favourite features is eOlus sustainable fibre. Being environmentally conscious using sustainable fibres and ingredients is a great selling point that attracts me. While I love natural things, I also enjoy smart, high-quality features like a hand-tufted finish.
If you’re someone who loves memory foam, this orthopaedic zip link mattress will be a refreshing change. You can experience the sponginess and soft feel without compromising the firm tension support you crave. I love the feel of a high-quality natural filling, even though it’s a pain to keep rotating and flipping them regularly. The seasonal turn is made easy by the flag-stitched handles on the side of the Hypnos zip link mattress.
Best Luxury Pick- The Wensleydale Wool Zip Link Mattress By John Lewis
- A cortec pocket spring system
- Natural insulating wool, hemp and cotton stuffing
- Chemical-free sleep surface
- Fully recyclable design
- For heavyweight sleepers: A comfortable feel with medium firmness, this luxe mattress is loved by average-weight sleepers too.
- For couples: Perfect for a variety of sleepers who enjoy different sleeping positions, the luxury support of this zip link mattress is perfect for couples who have different needs.
- For hot sleepers: The breathable Egyptian cotton, hemp and wool material of the mattress, along with the 16 air vents, makes for a breezy night’s sleep in all seasons.
- Budget-buyers: If you’re looking for an affordable zip link mattress, move ahead because this is an expensive investment.
- Allergies: Made with natural materials like Egyptian cotton, Wensleydale wool, hemp, it can cause issues for people with sensitive skin.
A reputed retailer for mattresses across the UK, John Lewis has an extensive collection of zip link mattresses. From the John Lewis & Partners Natural Collection, the Wensleydale Wool 13400 is genuinely for the decadent soul.
If luxury and bespoke craftsmanship had a word, it would be this breathtaking Wensleydale wool zip link mattress. With over 13,400 supportive springs, this mattress is for relaxing in pure luxury.
Hitting my soft spot with sustainable comfort technology, I particularly like this zip link mattress collection for its fully recyclable design. The heat-sealed Cortec spring technology guarantees zero waste to landfills. Apart from the environmental advantages, the spring system is truly spectacular.
I love it most because the springs hug all contours of my body, which keeps the weight evenly distributed when I sleep on my right side. Although, this mattress will take a few flipping and rotations for the fillings to settle, giving you ultimate back support.
The feel of the mattress is medium tension, which is soft and contouring, so it targets support where it’s needed most. The depth, appearance and feel of the mattress contributed to my deep sleep in this John Lewis mattress.
The quilted appearance of the Wensleydale wool zip link mattress also has a unique chemical-free surface. Manufactured with utmost care and no harsh chemicals, the mattress cover is naturally fire retardant. My sleep apnea makes it difficult to fall asleep. Still, when my body touched this luxurious Wensleydale wool zip link mattress, my backache and apnea didn’t seem much of a bother.
Aptly named ‘Luxury Support’, the Wensleydale wool zip link mattress is soft like clouds and feels like a warm hug on a chilly evening. I also liked how breathable and hygienic the mattress was. The luxe materials like Egyptian cotton, hemp, linen, and wool contribute to the springy and fresh feel of the zip link mattress.
Best for Average-weight Sleeper—Sleepeezee Perfectly British Mayfair 3200 Pocket Pillow Top Double Size Zip & Link Mattress
- A medium-firm mattress with pocket springs for ultimate body support and comfortable sleep
- Super-breathable mattress surface equipped with air vents that prevent moisture from accumulating
- Finished with a damask cover and a pillow top for comfort and a luxurious feel
- Built-in turning handles for easy rotation. A single-sided mattress that does not require to be flipped
- For average-weight individuals: This mattress offers medium-firm support and is ideally suited for average-weight individuals. Its pocket springs provide comfort and adequate support for the body.
- For side sleepers: This mattress features a plush pillow top with a medium-firm base equipped with pocket springs. It ensures that side sleepers get appropriate support for their spine, shoulders, and hip.
- For hot sleepers: If you tend to sweat a lot while sleeping, this mattress is a delight. It is equipped with air vents throughout and prevents moisture from building up.
- For back sleepers: High-quality pocket springs and comfort springs guarantee contour-like comfort for your body as you sleep on your back.
- Heavyweight sleepers: This mattress tends to adjust according to the body to give personalised support. It can cause discomfort for those looking for a solid and firm hold.
- High maintenance: Even though the mattress is made using high-quality cashmere, it requires considerable upkeep. Moreover, the pillow top can pose difficulties when putting a sheet over it.
Sleepeezee Perfectly British Mayfair 3200 Pocket Pillow Top Double sized Zip & Link Mattress is a medium-firm mattress best suited for an average-weight individual. I can attest to this since I am an average-weight sleeper with 75 kg (165 lbs).
This Sleepeezee mattress is handcrafted using British cashmere wool and high-quality cooling cotton, providing a soft and springy feel. Since I suffer from frequent backaches due to past sports injuries, this medium-firm mattress, with its 2000 SoftTech® comfort springs and 1,200 traditional pocket springs, ensures that I never feel sore the next day.
My girlfriend and I appreciate the air vents in this mattress since I am a hot sleeper, and she loves to cuddle, making it warmer than ever. These air vents guarantee a peaceful night’s sleep without us having to worry about waking up drenched in sweat.
What’s more, this mattress features a woven damask cover that is 100% chemical-free and does not harm your skin. This way, you and your partner can sleep without any worries! Another reason why I love this mattress because it is single-sided and does not need to be flipped. So, all you need to do is occasionally rotate it, and you’re set!
Overall, the Sleepeezee Perfectly British Mayfair 3200 Pocket Pillow Top Double Sized Zip & Link Mattress is perfect for individuals weighing between 140 and 210 lbs. Suppose you want personalised comfort coupled with a ventilated sleeping environment. In that case, this is an excellent choice for you and your partner.
Best for Lightweight Sleeper—Vispring Plymouth Supreme 1200 Pocket Spring Zip Link Mattress
- Medium-firm mattress made using New Zealand wool and pure, breathable cotton that ensures a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Vanadium steel pocket springs for responsive and tailored support for the body, especially the lower back and hip joint
- Natural, bio-based raw material M-PURE cover makes for a sustainable, eco-friendly product.
- Hand side-stitching and cotton tufts for a plush feel and premium comfort and support
- For back sleepers: Ideal for back sleepers as it provides medium-firm support with pocket springs in a honeycomb formation for added comfort and responsive support.
- For lightweight individuals: This mattress provides medium-firm support and is best suited for lightweight sleepers. Its hand nested pocket springs offer stability and support for the entire body.
- For hot sleepers: Made using breathable cotton, this mattress ensures airflow during hot summers. Thus, you can rest assured that you will have a cool and comfortable sleeping environment.
- Allergies: Users may develop allergies to natural, bio raw materials. Hence, it is better to check the raw material before purchasing.
- Heavyweight sleepers: Individuals weighing between 280 and 300 lbs may feel discomfort if they usually sleep on their side.
The Vispring Plymouth Supreme 1200 Pocket Spring Zip Link Mattress is ideal for lightweight sleepers seeking medium-firm support. Since I am an average-weight side sleeper, this is not the best choice for me but provides a decent sleep experience.
However, suppose you are a lightweight sleeper. In that case, you will appreciate the softcover, bouncy pocket springs, and medium-firm support that this mattress offers. My girlfriend, a lightweight sleeper, found this mattress excellent in comfort and support.
One of the most attractive features of this mattress is that it enables you to wake up feeling fresh and dry instead of soaked in sweat. It is made using breathable cotton fabric that allows airflow throughout the night.
The most significant advantage of purchasing this mattress is a 30-year guarantee. Moreover, with Vanadium steel pocket springs, you can rest assured that you will receive comfort, durability, and adequate support.
Suppose you’re looking for a luxury and plush feel. In that case, the hand side-stitched fabric of this mattress is sure to give you a premium sleeping experience. The cotton tufts provide individual support that guarantees hassle-free sleep even if your partner rolls over, tosses, or turns too much.
While many mattresses in this range are costly, the Vispring Plymouth Supreme 1200 Pocket Spring Zip Link Mattress is decently priced. It is the perfect choice for lightweight sleepers who prefer sleeping on their back.
Best for Back Support—Sleepeezee Backcare Luxury 1400 Pocket Double Size Zip and Link Mattress
- British wool, cotton, and silk layers provide ultimate comfort for the spine.
- 1,400 pocket springs that provide firm and stable support for back and front sleepers
- Ultimate pressure relief by spreading an individual’s body weight across the entire area of the mattress. This results in less tossing and turning and undisturbed hours of sleep
- For heavyweight and average-weight sleepers: This mattress is made using soft-knitted fabric and a firm base that assists both heavyweight and average-weight sleepers alike.
- For back sleepers: this mattress is the perfect fit for those with pre-existing backaches and spinal issues. This mattress is firm and prevents sinking, thus offering premium support.
- For stomach sleepers: 1,400 pocket springs ensure pressure relief and provide the perfect sleeping environment for stomach sleepers.
- Side sleepers: Since this mattress is super firm, side sleepers may slightly discomfort while adjusting their shoulders onto the rigid layers.
- Bouncy feel: This mattress has rigid layers to support back sleepers effectively. However, it might feel extra bouncy due to the 1,400 pocket springs.
I’m an average-weight sleeper, so I find the Sleepeezee Backcare Luxury 1400 Pocket Double Size Zip and Link Mattress satisfactory. Even though I’m a side sleeper, I have recurring backaches that lead me to require proper back support while sleeping.
On the other hand, this mattress is a decent choice if you are a lightweight sleeper like my girlfriend, who sleeps on her side. Its soft-knitted fabric makes it comfortable to lie on and does not result in sore muscles the next day.
Another attractive feature of this mattress is the white fibre filling that promotes spring movement around the mattress and minimises allergens. Furthermore, this mattress offers unmatched back support through a firm base fitted with 1,400 pocket springs.
The best part is that the springs are placed in individual sleep zones. You and your partner are guaranteed a sound sleep even if either partner tosses and turns more than the other.
Essentially, this mattress is an ideal blend of support, balance, and comfort. It is priced affordably; it is an attractive choice for average, and heavyweight sleepers require premium back support with a soft, luxurious feel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are zip and link mattresses comfortable?
Zip and link mattresses are very comfortable as they sport a design that prevents the zips from hampering your sleep. The zips in such mattresses are attached right by the side, underneath the edge of the mattress.
However, if you’re facing any discomfort from the seams, you can buy a mattress topper for added comfort while sleeping.
Is it possible to attach a headboard to a zip and link mattress?
Yes, absolutely! It is pretty convenient to use regular headboards with zip and link mattresses. However, when you require a separate bed, you will need to remove the headboard if you’re using a large-sized, single one.
Most users prefer two matching headboards. These are single headboards designed specifically for zip and link mattresses so that they may permanently stay attached. You don’t have to keep removing the headboard when you separate the beds.
How to use a zip and link mattress?
You are only required to zip up the top side of zip and link mattresses. It is a reasonably straightforward process. Turn the mattress over and unzip it when you need to separate it.
While putting it back together, flip the mattress and zip up the side that you won’t sleep on. Moreover, these zips are recessed, and you won’t feel them!