A Tempur-Pedic mattress typically lasts up to 10 years, thanks to its high-quality materials, innovative design, and proper maintenance.
As the only mattress manufacturer officially recognised by NASA for its memory foam development, Tempur-Pedic offers a range of mattresses priced between £1000 and £3500.
Additionally, each mattress comes with a 10-year Full Replacement Limited Warranty when purchased from an authorised retailer – which tells you how long Tempur think it should last.
In this quick-fire guide, we’ll explore the unique features of Tempur-Pedic mattresses, comparing them to other options on the market, offering tips on prolonging their life, and helping you decide when it’s time to replace your current mattress.
However, a mattress’s lifespan depends on other factors such as
- the body type of the users,
- frequency of usage,
- how well the mattresses are cared for and maintained,
- the environment,
- and the use of preventive measures like mattress protectors.
Factors Affecting Tempurpedic’s Lifespan
Your Tempur-Pedic mattress lifespan is determined by several factors, including
Wear And Tear
Because of the frequency of usage and the sleeper’s weight, the sagging of foam mattresses like Tempur-Pedic develops naturally over time.
A mattress owner who weighs over 100kg will need to replace their mattress more often because of the constant pressure exerted on it. Likewise, active children bouncing on beds will also lead to a quick replacement schedule.
The more the Tempur-Pedic mattress is used, the faster it can deteriorate because of the compression of the foam.
Maintenance and Preventive Care
Cleaning your Tempur-Pedic mattress regularly might help it last longer. Routine cleaning includes:
- changing the beddings
- vacuum cleaning dust and debris
- wiping spilled liquids immediately
How Do I Know If My Tempur-Pedic Mattress Needs Replacing?
If you own a Tempur-Pedic mattress, and you’re experiencing discomfort, does it need replacing? What are the tell-tale signs that it does?
Lumps are formed when the mattress is unevenly compressed or weight is poorly distributed. This is precisely why most manufacturers recommend flipping or rotating the mattress every three months.
With a lumpy mattress, it’s hard to find a comfortable position at night, and you can wake up with aches and pains. A lumpy Tempur-Pedic mattress, the same as any other mattress, is signalling that it’s time to replace it.
Stains and Foul Odour
Even if you change your sheets and keep your mattress in good condition, it may develop a terrible odour you can’t eliminate. This could result from old body oils or spills penetrating the mattress that may cause mould or mildew to grow over time.
Exposure to moulds can compromise your health, leading to health problems, including
- stuffy nose
- sore throat
- coughing or wheezing
- burning eyes
- skin rash
Mould-like stains on your mattress may indicate that bacteria has grown and needs to be removed as soon as possible.
Mattress may sag if subjected to natural wear and tear and not adequately cared for. It’s critical to fix mattress sagging as soon as possible as it can cause backaches or difficulty falling asleep.
Backaches can be caused by incorrect spinal alignment during sleep, and a sagging mattress is a primary factor in this.
Tips to Prolong your Tempur-Pedic Mattress
To increase your Tempur-pedic mattress’ lifespan, here are some tips that can help you:
1. Use a Tempur-Pedic Mattress Protector
Prevention is better than cure. Because the protector creates a layer between your body and the unique TempurPedic material, pairing it with a mattress cover will provide you with the required protection. This is useful, especially if you live with kids prone to spilling all sorts of liquids or you like sipping a glass of red wine in bed.
2. Rotating Your Tempur-Pedic Mattress
Rotating your Tempur-Pedic mattress can also help prolong its lifespan by ensuring even wear and preventing sagging or body impressions. Here are some detailed steps and tips on how to rotate your mattress effectively:
- How often to rotate: It is generally recommended to rotate your Tempur-Pedic mattress every 3 to 6 months. This frequency can vary depending on individual usage and body weight. Be sure to keep track of your rotations to maintain a consistent schedule.
- Check for handles: Some Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with handles, making it easier to rotate the mattress. However, these handles are not designed for lifting the entire weight of the mattress, so use caution when rotating.
- Get help if needed: Tempur-Pedic mattresses can be heavy and difficult to maneuver. It’s a good idea to have another person assist you with the rotation process to prevent injury and make the task easier.
- Do not flip: Unlike traditional innerspring mattresses, Tempur-Pedic mattresses are designed with a specific top and bottom side. Flipping the mattress over is not recommended, as it can damage the mattress and negatively affect its performance.
- Benefits of rotating: Regularly rotating your Tempur-Pedic mattress helps ensure even wear and support across the entire surface. This prevents the development of body impressions or sagging in certain areas, which can lead to discomfort and a reduced lifespan for your mattress.
By following these tips, along with the other care and maintenance recommendations listed above, you can significantly prolong the life of your Tempur-Pedic mattress and enjoy a comfortable, supportive sleep for years to come.
3. Avoid Excessive Wear and Tear
While some wear and tear are unavoidable, you may increase your tempurpedic mattress lifespan by avoiding behaviours that cause excessive wear and tear. These actions include:
- Allowing children to jump on the bed
- Allowing pets to sleep or jump on the bed
- Placing heavy objects like books on the bed
- Folding the mattress
- Using the mattress as a standing platform
4. Use a Proper Bed Frame
A supportive foundation keeps a mattress from sagging or compressing by distributing weight across the mattress surface area.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses can be used with an adjustable frame because they are flexible enough to accommodate your sleeping needs. Some even come with a remote control and massage function!
Here are some of the bases you can choose from:
- Tempur Base Bed: Priced at £1199
- Tempur Ottoman Bed: Priced at £1299
- Tempur Adjustable Bed with Massage Function: Priced at £1369
5. Wash Your Beddings Regularly
Body oils, sweat, and dirt can all seep into a mattress, causing damage to the materials and mould and bacteria growth.
Using mattress protectors helps prevent this by serving as the first layer of defence from dirt, spills and bed bugs. Some mattress protectors are waterproof to protect your mattress from unwarranted spillages. But it’s still a good idea to wash bed linens weekly to minimise the risk of damage.
6. Clean Spills Quickly
Firstly, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Spills should be dabbed with a dry cloth instead of a wet cloth, as Tempur-Pedic mattresses are not designed to have damp for long periods.
To clean spills,
- Remove any mattress covers.
- Gently dab a dry cloth over the affected area to absorb as much moisture as possible.
- Air-dry the mattress before replacing the bed cover and sheets. Sun-drying is preferred.
7. Don’t Use Electric Blankets
According to the Tempur-Pedic care guide, an electric blanket or heating pad should never be used on a Tempur-Pedic mattress. The heat may cause the Tempur-Pedic material to change and lose its capacity to mould your body shape. It may void your warranty, so be careful and follow the guidelines.
It might be a problem for cold sleepers who use electric blankets for warmth during the night. If this is you, but you still want a Tempur pedic mattress, then adjust your sleeping environment, i.e. room thermostat, thicker duvets.
8. Use the Mattress According to the Manufacturer’s Guide
It is crucial to use Tempur-Pedic mattresses within the manufacturer’s guide. It will help prolong the life of your expensive mattress but also ensure that the 10-year warranty covers you.
Do Tempur-Pedic Mattresses Sag Over Time?
Typically, Tempur-Pedic mattresses do not sag, especially when placed on a solid foundation. However, sagging may occur over time if the mattress lacks a proper box spring or solid platform. Being single-sided mattresses, Tempur-Pedic mattresses can sag, particularly if you spend most of your day in bed.
When you notice sagging, replacing the mattress promptly helps avoid developing back pain and experiencing poor sleep quality (see our list of 10 great mattresses for back pain).
What Should You Do With an Old Tempur-Pedic Mattress?
When you’re ready to part ways with your old Tempur-Pedic mattress, there are several eco-friendly disposal options.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses are recyclable, and you can take your mattress to a recycling center for a fee. If you cannot find a recycling center nearby, consider donating your Tempur-Pedic mattress, provided it’s in good condition.
How Long Do Tempur-Pedic Pillows Last?
Tempur-Pedic pillows, made from high-quality materials for durability, usually last for about 4-5 years. Examining the brand’s warranty policy is a helpful way to gauge a product’s life expectancy.
Tempur-Pedic pillows come with a 5-year limited warranty so that the company will address certain issues within that time frame.
Customer reviews indicate that the 5-year estimate is generally accurate. While some reviews report that the pillows didn’t quite last five years, others mention their pillows lasting a decade or more. The longevity of your Tempur-Pedic pillow ultimately depends on how well you care for it.
Comparing Lifespans: Tempur-Pedic vs. Memory Foam Mattresses
|Mattress Type||Average Lifespan|
|Conventional Memory Foam||7-8 years|
While Tempur-Pedic mattresses utilise memory foam technology, they offer unique features that set them apart from conventional memory foam mattresses.
TEMPUR® worked closely with NASA to improve upon the original formula and materials, earning certification from the Space Foundation for incorporating shock absorption technology from space into their mattresses.
The high-quality build and materials used in Tempur-Pedic mattresses result in different lifespans compared to other memory foam options:
The Final Word on Tempur-Pedic Mattress Lifespan
Our guide has helped you find the answer to how long does a tempurpedic mattress last, so the next question to ask yourself – is this long enough for you?
A Tempur-Pedic mattress is a good choice and manufactured by a reputable brand that prides itself on using the original formula of the memory foam developed by NASA.
If you’re still unsure, you can try TEMPUR’s 100-night trial, wherein you can try using the mattress in your own home as long as you use it according to their terms and conditions.
- Weinhold B. (2007). A spreading concern: inhalational health effects of mold. Environmental health perspectives, 115(6), A300–A305.