I have two chronic injuries that cause severe back pain and worsen during sleep. However, I am not someone to lose heart; I used my mattress addiction to help myself find the best mattress for my bad back.
Multiple research studies show that the right mattress can reduce back pain and have numerous health benefits. The best part is it gives you a quiet and peaceful night of restful sleep.
Having a good mattress for a bad back can help in both ways. It will provide relief and comfort to people already suffering from a back issue.
It will give them much-needed relief and let them sink into slumber to wake up to a brighter day. It can also help prevent back issues in people without any. Additionally, proper spinal alignment at night can provide you with a good posture all day.
Numerous mattresses in the market can be suitable for all types of sleepers. However, finding a mattress that suits a person with a bad back can be exhausting.
So, how do you find the best mattress for a bad back?
- – Best For Side Sleepers
- – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- – Best For Combo Sleepers
- Nectar Memory Foam Mattress – Best For Couples
- Ergoflex 5G Mattress – Best For Hot Sleepers
- – Best For Back Pain
The top pick- REM-Fit 500 Ortho Hybrid Mattress
- It has encapsulated premium pockets that provide an excellent neck support.
- The mattress has 150 mm edge-to-edge support walls.
- This mattress has a 50 mm open cell structure that offers excellent air regulation.
- It is a single-sided rotate only mattress which is easy to handle.
- Shoulder pain: The premium springs are suitable for the shoulder as well.
- Hot Sleepers: The open-cell memory foam prevents heating up and provides a cool sleeping environment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers: The mattress has one of the best firmness to suit a heavyweight sleeper.
- Couples: It does not have the best motion isolation features to suit people with different sleeping styles.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness is not optimal if you are a lightweight sleeper.
This is my top pick for the best mattress for a bad back because of its excellent spinal alignment and support to the entire body. I felt how perfect this mattress was when I slept through the night undisturbed and felt much better.
Related Read: Best Orthopaedic Mattress
It has 2,000 firm encapsulated pocket springs that provide unparalleled back support. The pocket springs are 15 cm high and give the optimal firmness for a bad back.
The mattress also provides a 150 mm high edge-to-edge support that prevents the mattress from sagging. It will ensure you receive the full effects of the mattress for a long time.
The extra firm springs are designed to move independently. It can provide excellent body contouring and good support for the limbs as they move.
The mattress has a 50 mm open cell structure in the comfort foam layer. It provides me with a cool environment all night.
The mattress provides excellent temperature regulation and prevents your body from heating up. It has a Re-Ax breathable cover which is an exclusive Thermoregulating cover. This is a beneficial feature if you are a hot sleeper.
Also, the zoned memory foam in the mattress provides additional pressure relief. It helps you sleep without compromising when it comes to your back.
Most Advanced Mattress- Simba Hybrid Pro
- An intelligent and balanced combination of spring and foam for a relaxing and peaceful good night’s sleep.
- Comes with patented Aerocoil springs made from titanium.
- A double layer of foam around the springs ensures proper weight distribution and edge support.
- Maintains surface temperature. Thanks to the breathable and open-pore sleep top.
- Prefer Firmness: The perfect combination of spring and foam creates the right amount of firmness for every body type.
- For heavy sleepers: The mattress distributes the sleeper’s weight evenly throughout the surface. It reduces the counter-pressure and provides a comfortable sleep to heavy sleepers.
- Hot sleepers: The top surface of the mattress is made with a breathable fabric. It allows the continuous and steady flow of air at the contact surface of the body.
- Prefers soft mattress: This mattress has a certain firmness to it. So, if you like a bouncy mattress, this is not the right product for you.
- Light sleepers: The company hasn’t used any special fabric or technology to provide motion isolation. So, if you are a light sleeper, you might want to check it first.
If you are looking for the most advanced mattress on the market, you cannot ignore the Simba Hybrid pro.
This mattress is everything you are looking for to get a perfect sleep at night. The company has left no stone unturned to create the best sleeping experience for their customers without backache troubles.
Simba Hybrid Pro is a result of intense research and trials. This mattress is made to provide you gravity-defying comfort and nothing else.
This model has seven layers, with a spring layer encased between the memory foam layers.
I have often seen myself stuck in the spot when choosing between spring and foam. Since both hold some advantages for back pain, choosing has always been hard for me.
However, Simba has made the decision-making process more manageable.
They have combined the benefits of spring and foam in mattresses to develop the true definition of comfort and support.
The springs used by the company are patented Aerocoil springs made with the finest quality titanium.
The layers are combined to distribute the pressure throughout the surface. It reduces the contact pressure on your body.
I have noticed that many memory foam mattresses claim to have breathability, but they fail to deliver.
Simba Hybrid Pro has dealt with this problem by concentrating breathability where it is necessary; on the top. The top layer allows a constant flow of air and maintains the temperature. It prevents any heat accumulation and sweating during sleep.
Simba has a deep understanding of customer satisfaction. That’s why they give their customers a 200 night free trial period.
You can see if your body is responding well to the mattress. If not, you can get your money back. The company also provides a ten-year-long warranty for their product. That shows the level of trust the company holds in its mattress.
The most comfortable pick- Silentnight 7 Zone Memory Foam Rolled Mattress
- This mattress has three different zones of support.
- It is made of Purotex fibres that are highly breathable.
- The cover is antibacterial since it is made of hypoallergenic materials.
- It is easy to handle.
- Back Sleepers: This can be an excellent pick if you are a back sleeper.
- Side Sleepers: The mattress is good on the shoulders, and it can be excellent for side sleepers.
- People with Sensitive Skin: The hypoallergenic materials make this the best choice for people with sensitive skin.
- Stomach Sleepers: That is not the best choice for you if you are a stomach sleeper.
- Heavyweight sleepers. The firmness is too low for a heavyweight sleeper.
This mattress provided me with an ultimate comfort level that I could not stop talking about the following morning. It has comfort foam layers that make you feel like the mattress is hugging you.
The layers can gently put you to sleep while providing you with the perfect pressure relief you have been looking for all year. The foam also has an excellent capability to contour your body as you move.
It has zoned support that features three different zones of support. It is designed to provide you with a high level of comfort that can relax in the human body’s critical areas. That includes shoulders, lower back, and hips.
The mattress is made of materials known as Purotex fibres. These fibres ensure that you are protected against dust mites, moulds and other fungi. Allergy UK also endorses the fibres.
Suppose you have sensitive skin and may have allergic reactions to the components in the mattress. I’d highly recommend this one since the hypoallergenic features are highly effective.
The mattress is also not too soft or not too firm. That is great since I am a side sleeper. I felt relaxed thanks to this feature.
Luxury pick – The DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattress
- This mattress has memory foam that is made of Dream Plush breathable material.
- It also has an advanced adaptive gel memory.
- It has a solid foam base.
- The mattress has ActivEdge technology coils.
- Budget-minded buyers: It is inexpensive compared to other similar mattresses in the market. Hence, it is suitable for budget-minded buyers.
- Back Sleepers: The spinal alignment is perfect, and it can be an excellent option for back sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: This mattress provides good shoulder support for side sleepers.
- Couples: It is not the best choice for couples because of its low motion isolation feature.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness can be too high for lightweight sleepers.
If you do not mind sinking into a soft, silky mattress. This mattress is the one you have been looking for.
DreamCloud Mattress is ideally crafted to provide a superior level of comfort. It is made of premium quality foams. It is made by focusing on creating an advanced level of adaptive gel memory.
The materials in this mattress are sourced from raw materials that are of superior quality. It is manufactured to provide high breathability, comfort, and a soft sleeping surface.
This mattress comes with an impressive cover that can give you extreme softness, comfort and cooling. The softness can help any person find it hard to sleep. You may fall asleep in the silkiness of the surface in minutes.
This mattress is also an excellent memory foam that is highly breathable and gives a deep level of contouring. The spine alignment is also ideal. It can adjust with you as you move throughout the night.
The support foam in the mattress ensures your body is supported. That is consistent on all sides. It is also enhanced by the 15 cm superior quality springs made using ActivEdge technology.
It reduces stress on pressure points, back, shoulders, and limbs. The comfort is consistent across the size of the mattress.
It also provides exceptional edge-to-edge support. The strong base can absorb motion and add to the body’s contouring. It also provides a high level of comfort.
Best for Hot Sleepers – Ergoflex 5G Mattress
- It has high-density memory foam made of viscoelastic.
- It has a specially made Ergoflex 5G layer.
- It has a 5th Gen HD ACOT for longevity.
- The mattress provides excellent body contouring.
- Hot sleepers: The mattress has perfect cooling for hot sleepers. I found it compelling.
- Side Sleepers: The mattress is ideal for side sleepers.
- Couples: It has sound motion isolation.
- Stomach Sleepers: It can be too firm for stomach sleepers.
- Combo Sleepers: It is not the best choice for combo sleepers.
Do you have a bad back, and are you a hot sleeper? So, you find it extremely hard to find the perfect mattress for you, right?
Well, join the club. That’s my story too. So, I highly recommend Ergoflex 5G Mattress for a hot sleeper with severe back pain.
The mattresses are made of high-density memory foam composed of viscoelastic materials. It provides you with a superior level of moulding to your body movements.
The mattress is made of Ergoflex 5G layer. ErgoFlex makes it to provides excellent airflow for a pleasant sleeping experience especially. This will help in maintaining the body temperature while you sleep. It prevents warmth that builds up within the mattress layers.
The mattress is designed to provide a cool sleeping environment. It is built into each layer of the mattress. Hence, the temperature regulation is excellent.
The 5th Gen HD ACOT is a high-grade material that gives longevity to the users. The outer cover has vented 3D mesh panels that prevent retention. It also offers a smooth sleeping surface.
The 9 cm HD viscoelastic memory foam provides good body contouring and motion isolation. Also, the foundation is highly sturdy and robust.
Best Value Mattress – Dormeo Memory Plus Mattress
- It is an affordable option.
- It has antibacterial properties.
- NASA initially designed the foam.
- It has eco cell layers.
Combo Sleepers: It is not the best choice for combo sleepers since they can quickly move with you all night to provide alignment.
People with sensitive skin: It has antibacterial properties; hence it can be good for sensitive skin.
Side Sleepers: It is good on the shoulders and hips.
Heavyweight Sleepers: The mattress is not firm enough.
Lightweight Sleepers: The firmness can be too high for lightweight sleepers.
If you are looking for the best mattress for a bad back and are on a strict budget, this is for you. This memory foam mattress is 50% more memory foam than similar other mattresses available in the market.
It balances a great deal of pressure relief with softness. It has pressure relieving components wrapped in a Florentine stitched cover with directly woven carbon fibres. This is made to create a barrier between the mattress and the dust particles in the surroundings.
The mattress’s softcover is infused with antibacterial, anti-dust mite, and antimicrobial properties. The sanitised surface ensures you will not have any kind of allergic reactions.
The memory foam in the mattress is sewn directly into the cover. If you are a restless sleeper, this will reduce tossing and turning, and it will help increase blood circulation when you are asleep.
NASA initially designed the memory foam in this mattress. It moulds to your body perfectly as you move around all the time. Also, it makes the required adjustments to align with your spine all night.
The covers, layers, and antibacterial properties provide a comfortable sleep. I felt peaceful sleeping on this best value mattress.
Best Firmness Mattress – Emma Original Mattress
- It is made of superior quality foam.
- The mattress is made of breathable materials.
- It has air cell foam.
- The materials are made of viscoelastic.
- Hot sleepers: The mattress has excellent cooling properties for hot sleepers. I found it effective.
- Combo Sleepers: The mattress has good contouring for combo sleepers.
- Couples: It has excellent motion isolation.
- Shoulder pain: It does not have enough support.
- Lightweight Sleepers: It is too firm for lightweight sleepers.
Emma Original is an exceptional mattress that can support all types of sleepers. It is one of the affordable options that can provide luxury features.
This mattress is very supportive and aligns well with your spine. It is because of the advanced zoning and the highly adaptable foams. They gently cradle your body as you slowly sink into your bed.
The mattress has excellent pain-relieving features that we are on the hunt for. It is made of high-quality foams that can distribute weight evenly throughout the mattress.
It also has an excellent motion isolation feature that will allow you to get good sleep even if your partner is a restless sleeper. So, if you and your partner have different sleeping postures, this is the one for you.
The mattress is made of breathable materials that give you a cool sleeping environment all night long. It has high-quality foam layers that are open-pored, which will allow the flow of fresh air. It will ensure you sleep comfortably and feel cool during the night.
The cover is made of elastic that fits the mattress perfectly. The fibres are a temperature regulating top that keeps moisture away from the mattress. Also, the airgocell foam is designed to absorb moisture, and it constantly keeps the flowing of air through the mattress.
The memory foam is made of viscoelastic materials that provide excellent body contouring. It has a modern marvel in the middle to ensure the spine is aligned in any sleeping position.
Best Choice for Couples – Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- It provides the perfect contouring.
- It has 7 zones of support, making it a sturdy mattress.
- It is climate neutral.
- This mattress has a temperature-regulating cover.
- Hot Sleepers: It can dissipate body heat and moisture to regulate body temperature.
- Combo Sleepers: Combo sleepers may find this mattress very comfortable.
- Side Sleepers: It provides good shoulder support.
- Lightweight Sleepers: This may be too firm.
- Stomach Sleepers: It can be harsh on stomach sleepers.
It is an excellent choice for you if you have been looking for a mattress with numerous features packed in one. This mattress is famous for many things, and its climate-neutral capacity is one of them.
It has a memory foam layer that is 25 cm thick, which gives an optimal level of firmness. It also provides a smooth sleeping surface to help you fall asleep quickly.
The mattress has three layers, of which two layers are made of memory foam, and the third layer is the base foam. This can provide the necessary comfort and support to all body parts.
The layers are made from high-quality viscoelastic materials that provide softness and contouring to the body. Each layer is engineered with components that can increase motion transfer.
That can be a good choice for couples with different sleeping styles. It is so because the mattress has an excellent motion isolation capacity. Hence, you can share this mattress with your partner or pet and not worry about any disturbances.
This mattress comes with an adaptive cooling cover designed to take in the fresh air and circulate it throughout the mattress. It also absorbs the heat from your body and releases it away.
The memory foam in this mattress is crafted to regulate body temperature by removing moisture and dissipating body heat. The memory foam is innovative and provides excellent body contouring.
The mattress is pressure relieving and supports your spine. You can relax your back, shoulders, lower back, and legs as you sleep on the mattress. It can be suitable for side sleepers like me.
The mattress contours perfectly contour to your body even when you move around. It can freely align with your spine, even if you are a restless sleeper.
Frequently Asked Questions- Best Mattress for Bad Back
It is not that often that there will be too many questions about any type of mattress. However, too many doubts and concerns surround the use of mattresses for bad backs.
So, I put my experience and expertise on mattresses and bad backs. I have answered some of the most commonly asked questions on the best mattress for a bad back. I hope these answers help clear some of your doubts, if not all.
Can the wrong mattress cause back pain?
If you sleep on the wrong mattress for a long time, it can worsen back pain. On the other hand, if you do not suffer from back pain already, bad mattresses can cause back pain.
You can face constant back pain issues due to loads of reasons such as prolonged lying down, sitting in a chair for too long, lifting too much and a bad mattress.
A bad mattress can stress your back and reinforce bad sleeping positions. They can not align with your spine well. Hence they can contribute to back pain.
So, you need to make sure the mattress has all the features optimally suitable for your weight, height, and sleeping style. Some of the factors to consider should be firmness, strength, and durability. If any of these features does not suit you, you are highly likely to suffer from back pain.
The mattress should align with your head, shoulders, lower back, buttocks, limbs and heels. If they do not, the mattress can cause pain in any of these regions, especially your back.
Hence, you need to pick a mattress based on its support to your back. However, if you suffer from chronic back pain, you will have to be extremely picky about choosing a mattress for you, as I do.
Which Type of Mattress is Best for Back Pain?
It is vital to know what type of mattress works the best for you. That is especially true if you have back pain.
Any mattress that suits most of the criteria can be your type. If not all, you need to sleep peacefully. However, for the back, extra care is mandatory.
Usually, a memory foam mattress or a hybrid mattress can be the best choice for you if you have back pain. However, the unique design of the mattress is more important than the type of mattress.
A hybrid mattress has a core made of innerspring that provides vital spinal alignment. The foam or cotton supplement will provide you with the necessary body contouring. It will ensure a peaceful night’s sleep and excellent support for your back.
However, other mattresses can also provide these qualities based on the construction. Hence, a pure foam mattress, air bed, latex mattress, and innerspring mattress can also be good. It can be effective only if it can provide the necessary spinal alignment.
How does the firmness of the mattress affect back pain?
It is a common misconception that the firmer the mattress is, the better support it can provide for your back. However, more and more people understand that this is not the case.
It may be true in some cases, but spinal alignment is the crucial factor that decides if a mattress is suitable for your back or not. It depends on what the individual needs.
If you sleep on a too-firm mattress, it stresses out your pressure points. That may cause you back pain or worsen it if you already have it.
On the other hand, if you sleep on a too-soft mattress, it can also cause a bad back. It is because the too-soft mattress will fall out of spinal alignment.
Usually, people need a medium-firm mattress that allows spinal alignment. Also, it should let the shoulder, hips, and limbs sink into the mattress slightly.
So, pick any mattress that provides the required curvature for your spine and relieves pressure on your lower back and muscles. It will ensure the firmness of your mattress is good on your spine.
How do I know if my mattress is causing me back pain?
If you suffer from back pain, there are many reasons for it. However, more often than not, a bad mattress can be the reason. So, how do you tell if your mattress is causing you back pain?
Here are some signs that may help you understand if your mattress is the culprit for your back pain. I have presented some cases below for you to check mentally quickly.
Case 1: Does your day start with pain in the back and sore muscles?
After waking up in the morning, is the first thing you do complaining about back pain? If yes, you need to check if your mattress is old or too soft for you.
Case 2: Are you tired and sleepy throughout the day?
Suppose you feel tired and sleepy all the time, along with some back pain. It is definitely because of your mattress.
Case 3: Is the mattress too soft or too hard for you?
If the mattress is too soft or too hard for you, it can hurt your spine. This can cause pressure on your joints. So, you may need to pick a new mattress with better suitable firmness, or you can choose an orthopaedic mattress.
Case 4: Is your mattress very old?
If you have not changed your mattress in about 8 to 9 years, it is time to consider buying a new one. Even if the mattress works just fine, there are chances that your body density and sleeping habits have changed over time.
Case 5: Do you stay awake suddenly during the night?
If so, your mattress cannot provide you with the most comfortable sleeping environment anymore. A sound sleep environment plays an essential role in how your back feels all night.
Case 6: Are you tossing and turning all night?
That is the crucial factor in deciding if your mattress is best for you or not. Continuously tossing and turning around could mean not finding a comfortable sleeping position.
So, it is always important to find a position to sleep in that is the most comfortable for you. At the same time, it is more important to create the ideal sleeping environment for yourself.
You can do that by buying yourself a suitable mattress for you in all aspects. That can not be truer than in the case of back pain.
So, the best mattress for the bad back will not only relieve you of all the pain while sleeping on it. They will also provide you with the most restful sleep all night.