Despite a long history of back injuries, trouble sleeping, and a severe sleeping disorder — sleep apnoea, I’m still obsessed with sleep. I do not sleep; still, finding the best mattress for adjustable beds was more of a necessity than a need.
Did you know that almost 1.4 million individuals in the UK have sleep apnoea (apparently undiagnosed)? Well, neither did I, though it does sound alarming. This disorder primarily refers to difficulty breathing while you sleep. As a result, you may wake up feeling discomforted.
I have had this issue as a gift in my genes that I cannot get rid of. But what I can do (I already did) is find a mattress that can aid my condition. Apart from a health concern, you may have chosen an adjustable bed due to your TV watching habits, reading book, etc.
And why wouldn’t you! Its countless benefits are features you would expect in any dreamy mattress. Well, I found each of them the best in their category.
I have enlisted them here with the hope of helping you find the best adjustable bed that matches your comfort levels!
- – Best For Side Sleepers
- – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- – Best For Combo Sleepers
- – Best For Couples
- – Best For Hot Sleepers
- – Best For Back Pain
Best Value: Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- 5-layer memory foam mattress that contours to your body
- Features a breathable quilted cover along with gel-infused foam layers
- It completely prevents the transfer of motion.
- A medium-firm mattress that helps relieve pressure.
- Value-seekers: It is ideal as a high-quality yet budget-friendly adjustable mattress option.
- Light and average weight side sleepers: Excellent choice for side sleepers like me. It contours to the body, providing hip and shoulder support.
- Light and average weight back sleepers: Individuals who sleep on the back will find an overall comfort level.
- Looking for ease of motion: The mattress restricts movement as it is relatively less responsive, restricting you if you try to reposition.
- Heavyweight sleepers: Though back sleepers may find it comfortable to an extent, the side and stomach heavyweight sleepers will sink into the mattress.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress caters to sleepers’ needs with varying requirements at considerably reasonable prices.
I’m a 75 kg (165 pounds) side sleeper, making me fall in the category of average-weight sleepers. After using the mattress, I can confidently admit it supports my hip and shoulders well.
Owing to my teenage injury (sports enthusiast), I mostly woke up with soreness in my shoulder. However, thanks to the body-hugging Nectar mattress, I no longer experience this pain.
Apart from being slightly softer, the Nectar mattress also prevents me from disturbing my partner. Thus, the five layers of this foam feature a slow-moving material, perfectly suitable for couples.
Are you wondering whether this mattress is suitable for hot sleepers? I’m a hot sleeper, too, and I completely understand your struggle to wake up due to discomfort at night. Not with the Nectar mattress, though!
Despite being a memory foam mattress, I can sleep comfortably — famous for trapping heat and moisture absorbing skills. This particular piece includes a cooling cover and gel-infused memory foam, keeping you cool throughout!
The top mattress layer features polyethylene — breathable and soft touch. Next, the mattress includes a gel-infused foam layer followed by a transition layer and the principal, 7-inch base layer. The construction of this mattress further reflects how supportive the mattress is.
Its complete foam construction allows you to use the mattress with an adjustable bed without ruining the quality. While spring mattresses may wear out after a while or restrict flexibility, this one is highly durable and bendable.
If you are looking for premium features and quality without breaking the bank, the Nectar Mattress is for you. It provides total value to customers like you and me, seeking relief from body discomfort and sleeping in a cloud-like, soft, and comfy environment!
Best Luxury Pick: Puffy Mattress
- Two-layer comfort system
- Gel-infused Cooling Cloud memory foam
- Excellent motion isolation
- No squeaks or creaks
- Lightweight sleepers: The medium firmness and extra-soft memory foam are great for lightweight sleepers, especially those who sleep on their side.
- Couples: Featuring layers of memory foam, this mattress significantly minimises motion transfer, making it perfect for couples.
- Hot sleepers: It is a breathable mattress with gel-infused memory foam that allows well-rounded air circulation.
- Heavyweight sleepers: Individuals over 230 lbs may find it somewhat uncomfortable while sleeping on the side, despite the soft and cushy feel.
- Front Sleepers: It is not the best choice for front sleepers or stomach sleepers, as they may find issues with the spinal alignment.
The Puffy Mattress is one of the softest mattresses you can find. It has a contouring surface that cradles your body and makes you feel as if you are sleeping on the mattress, not on it.
It features high point elasticity that compresses at the spot where weight is applied instead of around it. The memory foam is pretty responsive to the sleeper’s needs.
The stretch-knit polyester cover on the mattress is soft and adequately thin to allow the proper flow of air. It can easily be unzipped and washed in a machine. Moreover, it is also stain-resistant.
The Puffy Mattress has a firm core made of polyfoam. It stabilises the bed and protects against sagging. This support layer is topped with two foam layers forming the comfort system.
On top, we have the Cooling Cloud memory foam, which is infused with gel and provides excellent pressure relief. Meanwhile, the lower layer is the Climate Comfort polyfoam that offers both comfort and support.
The motion transfer in this mattress is impeccable. If you share your bed with someone, I strongly recommend considering this Puffy mattress. It will ensure that you do not get disturbed by the other person’s movements at night.
The body-hugging memory foam provides excellent pressure relief. Light and side sleepers will be exceptionally comfortable on this mattress as it adjusts to our curves. It allows for proper spinal alignment and reduces stiffness by a significant degree.
The Puffy Mattress is pretty much completely silent. Even if you tend to wake up at the slightest sounds, this mattress will not trouble your sleep cycle.
Despite being an all-foam mattress, The Puffy has excellent edge support. It offers sufficient reinforcement for the lighter group of sleepers. Sitting on the side of the bed may lead to sagging, but it is nothing major.
Best for Lightweight Sleeper: Silentnight 7 Zone Memory Foam Rolled Mattress
- 7 Zone memory foam mattress
- Anti-allergy bedding treated with probiotics.
- Targeted spinal support
- Great pressure relief
- Couples: It offers a high degree of motion isolation, making it a perfect pick for couples.
- Value Seekers: This is an excellent bargain if you’re on a budget.
- Lightweight sleepers: Irrespective of the sleeping position, light sleepers will always find the right amount of comfort with this mid-firm mattress.
- Stomach sleepers: This mid-firm model of the Amerisleep mattress is ideal for those who sleep on their stomachs. You must opt for firmer options.
- Heavyweight Sleepers: It is not the best option for heavyweight sleepers as they might be able to feel the slats under the mattress
The Silentnight 7 Zone Memory Foam is one of the best picks if you’re on a budget. It is designed to support seven significant body zones and comes with an unbelievable price tag.
Related Read: Best Mattress For Slat Beds
The mattress features a deep and comforting layer of body moulding memory foam that provides unparalleled support. It offers softness for the shoulders and firmness for the lower back and hips, ensuring a healthy sleep.
In addition, it also offers targeted spinal support to help the body relax. The spine stays at a level through the night and is well supported.
This mattress is pretty easy to handle as it comes vacuum-packed and rolled. The only effort is unrolling it on your bed frame and allowing it a few hours to expand.
The best part, perhaps, is the Purotex treatment that this mattress is put through. The process cuts down on the dust-mite allergens and leads to a healthier and fresher mattress.
If you’ve had to walk away from mattresses because of your allergies, this one is definitely for you. The treatment places friendly bacteria into the fabric of the mattress. When you sleep, these friendly bacteria start multiplying under the pressure of your body to combat any harmful allergens.
The mattress offers excellent motion isolation as well. If you or your partner move a lot during the night, this is the mattress that will solve your woes. It has very little motion transfer, ensuring that you get undisturbed sleep, regardless of your partner’s movement.
Best for Average Weight Sleeper: GhostBed Flex Mattress
- 7-layer hybrid mattress with a 6.5/10 firmness score
- Features gel-based memory foam to ensure cooler nights
- Responsive Ghost Bounce layer for a cloud-like feeling
- Offers Spirited Edged support for firmer, anti-slip edges.
- Hot sleepers: This mattress allows you to sleep in a dry condition from the cooling fibre-induced cover to gel memory foam.
- Couples: The gel memory foam ensures minimum motion transfer, so you do not disturb your partner.
- Average-weight back and side sleepers: While the top comfort layer will contour your body, the lower layers help relieve your hips and shoulders pressure.
- Stomach sleeper: Not firm enough for stomach sleeping individuals, making your hips sink further and leading to an unaligned position.
- Softer or firmer mattress: This piece falls at the centre of the firmness level — not suitable for those who prefer softer or firmer mattresses.
Everyone assumes finding a mattress for our category is the easiest part, don’t they? After all, almost every bed is designed to meet the needs of an average sleeper. But little do they know, the more the choices, the more complex the decision making!
So, here I am with the best adjustable mattress for the average weight sleeper — the Ghostbed Flex Mattress.
Despite my wrecked sleep patterns due to my guilty pleasure — UFC (that runs from 1 AM to 6 AM), this mattress treats my back perfectly. Moreover, my fondness for travelling and my girlfriend from Thailand — whom I love dearly, make me take 13-hour flights. Such a mess!
Well, the Ghostbed Flex Mattress is the ideal option for me, I would say. It provides a body-hugging experience to the back, targeting each muscle point. It prevents back discomfort and helps me wake up fresher in the mornings.
Besides, this mattress caters to the needs of hot sleepers. It has the necessary cooling features, from a breathable cover to heat-dissipating gel memory foam. The mattress comprises coils that further enhance air circulation to top it all.
Other features of this mattress that make me choose it over others include motion transfer management. Thus, being perfect for couples and those of you who sleep with kids and pets. Additionally, it has a robust edge, providing a larger space for sleeping. So, if you often find yourself at the edge of the mattress, rest assured it is a solid, anti-slip edge.
Best for Heavyweight Sleeper: Idle Sleep Hybrid Mattress Luxury Firm
- Boasts unique buoyancy foam that provides up to 400% higher support than regular ones
- A two-sided mattress lets you flip after a while to enhance longevity.
- It is constructed without viscoelastic chemicals, offering a top-notch cooling experience.
- Features certified CertiPUR-US®️ foam construction to prevent any health side effects.
- Hot sleepers: The Thermocool cover always lets you feel at rest, cool when you feel hot, and warm when cold. Additionally, its special cooling buoyancy foam emits four times more cooling than the regular foam.
- Side sleepers: Its transitional layer supports your spine and lets your body sink for the ultimate comfort level while in the side position.
- Stomach sleepers: The high firmness level is ideal for stomach sleepers as it does not let your lower body sink too much. It promotes spinal alignment by supporting the entire body equally.
- Edge sleepers: Though the mattress is quite large, you may not find additional robust support towards the edges.
- For couples: The mattress does not suppress motion transfer due to its high buoyancy. Therefore, though it is suitable for sexually active couples, it may disturb you when your partner moves.
Do you think the Idle Sleep Hybrid Mattress is ideal for you? It indeed is one of the five outstanding options for the best adjustable mattresses for me. Plus, this luxury firm mattress is excellent for heavyweight and stomach sleepers — categories that cannot find a mattress easily.
The 7-layer mattress comprises multiple flexible foam layers and a 6-inch coil section at the centre. The mattress turns out to be highly flexible, allowing you to use it with your adjustable beds.
Those of you who are heavyweight sleepers will understand how much value firmness holds. You prefer firm mattresses that support your body and ensure alignment. Well, this is the ultimate level firm.
The Idle Sleep Hybrid Luxury Firm will be perfect for heavyweight stomach and back sleepers. In the former case, the mattress will provide balanced support to the entire body. Alternately, if you are a black sleeper, the mattress will conform to your body while preventing your hips from sinking.
Besides, its coolant feature gives it an edge over the others. The mattress has a unique cooling buoyancy foam that is excellent for hot sleepers. Its cooling technology is four times faster than regular and features efficient bounce and responsiveness.
Apart from this, know that the hybrid mattress is constructed with eco-friendly items, eliminating harmful chemicals. Additionally, you can flip the mattress frequently to extend its life!
Overall, it is a superb option, especially for those struggling to find one suitable for heavyweight and stomach sleepers.
Best Mattress for Adjustable Beds – Buyer’s Guide
Did you find my round-up of the best mattress for adjustable beds helpful? Even if you could not find what you were looking for, here is a small guide to aid your selection process. Read through these essential features that you must weigh upon while making your final pick!
One of the prime checkboxes that your mattress must tick is flexibility. You are likely to adjust your bed to multiple positions, and your mattress needs to move with ease. Plus, this will also reflect the longevity of your mattress.
What kind of sleeper are you? Identify your sleeping habits and health conditions, and choose the mattress accordingly. This piece of bedding has a prime role in ensuring your comfort, which you need to check. Look for features like pressure relief, motion transfer, contouring, etc.
Type of Mattress
Another essential aspect that determines whether a mattress is for you or not is its type. While a latex mattress provides a bouncy feel, the hybrid ones ensure pressure relief — ideal for back discomfort. The other two options include innerspring, which is relatively budget-friendly and foam — exhibiting the highest flexibility rate.
Whether you are a hot sleeper, air circulation and temperature regulation are necessary features for your mattress. They allow you to sleep in a healthy environment while preserving the mattress condition.
Size is one of the essential points that you must double-check. You do not want to order a mattress that does not fit your bed base? Therefore, thoroughly skim through the mattress measurements and compare them with the beds.
Split vs Solid
If you have a split bed base, purchasing a mattress compatible with this design is the unspoken wiser decision. It will allow you and your partner to change position and firmness level independently.
Can you use a standard mattress with an adjustable base, or do you need a special one?
Yes, you can go ahead with a standard, regular mattress with an adjustable bed, but there is a twist. It needs to be flexible enough to be compatible. The best mattresses for adjustable beds include latex, memory foam, and hybrid.
Is memory foam the best type of mattress for adjustable beds?
Memory foam is undoubtedly the best mattress type for adjustable bed bases. It is the most flexible option with added layers and features. That being said, the mattress might have problems like sagging, a warm environment, etc. Make sure to look for one that has cooling and responsive features.
How to set up a mattress on an adjustable bed?
Once you have set up the adjustable bed base, add rubber or anti-slip pads to each of its corners. It will prevent your mattress from sliding sideways, giving well-rounded stability.