Are you looking for the best mattress in a box? Ask yourself if they are any good or just a fad in the mattress industry?
Stress is not new to me, and my frequent travel trips and jet lags make it harder to fall asleep. So, if I have learnt one thing with all the juggling around my sleep environment, it is this: Mattress matters.
Initially, I was sceptical about this mattress in a box concept. However, I tried them as soon as I could get my hands on one. Well, I love mattresses and innovation. So, this combination is not something I’d miss reviewing.
Technology is the driving factor behind these new mattresses, and they solve all sorts of problems. For example, getting a mattress up the stairs and into a corner room was a Herculean task. Now, the mattress in a box has changed this for all of us.
Everything is now made affordable, convenient as well as stress-free. So, I have tried most of the UK’s best mattresses in a box and have made a list only of the creme de la creme.
The Final Comparison
- Nectar Memory Foam Mattress – Best For Side Sleepers
- – Best For Back Sleepers
- – Best For Front Sleepers
- – Best For Combo Sleepers
- – Best For Couples
- Simba Hybrid Pro Mattress – Best For Hot Sleepers
- – Best For Back Pain
The Top Pick – Emma Original Mattress
- The foam used is high quality.
- It has airgocell foam that increases breathability.
- It provides excellent spinal alignment.
- The materials are made using viscoelastic.
- Hot sleepers: This has excellent cooling properties suitable for hot sleepers.
- Couples: It has a practical motion isolation feature that can suit couples very well.
- Combo Sleepers: The mattress has good contouring and motion responsiveness. It makes this an excellent choice for combo sleepers.
- Shoulder pain: It provides the support required to relieve shoulder pain. It is also good on pressure points in the shoulder. Hence, this can be good for people with shoulder pain.
- Lightweight Sleepers: The firmness of the mattress is too high. So, it is better to avoid it if you are a lightweight sleeper.
Emma Original is my top pick for the best mattress in a box because it covers almost all of the features you should look for in a mattress. It can provide exceptional support for several types of sleepers.
It is made of supportive layers designed to help you wake up energised. I hardly admit to something like this about a mattress, but this one did help me wake up more energised.
It aligns with your spine perfectly to provide relieving back support. The mattress also supports your shoulders and hips. So, this can be a good choice for side and back sleepers.
It has advanced zoning of foam layers that are adaptable to the movements of your body. It is very gentle in contouring the shape of your body every time you move.
The mattress has pressure relieving features that will help reduce pains and aches in your body. The foam is designed to distribute pressure across the whole mattress.
The mattress has excellent motion isolation capabilities. It works just fine even if you and your partner are sleeping in very different styles.
If you cuddle with your partner and do not disturb each other, this could be for you.
The materials in the mattress are made of breathable components. Even though I am a very hot sleeper, I never woke up sweating in the middle of the night.
The layers are open-pored, and they are good at circulating fresh air. It will ensure that the mattress keeps your sleeping environment cool and comfortable.
It has an excellent top cover that provides temperature regulation. The special fibres used in making the cover can keep moisture away and regulate humidity. The innovative airgocell foam is also designed to absorb moisture and keep the air flowing.
Best For Side Sleepers – Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- This mattress is known for its excellent memory foam that is very good at providing body contouring.
- It has 7 zones of support that makes this mattress very solid.
- The cover is made of highly breathable and temperature regulating materials.
- It is climate neutral.
- Combo Sleepers: The mattress has outstanding responsiveness, and it moulds to your body very well. It is perfect for combo sleepers.
- Hot Sleepers: The top cover and the layers are highly breathable and regulate body temperature. It can be an excellent choice for hot sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: It provides shoulder and lower back support. Hence, it is an excellent pick for side sleepers like me.
- Lightweight Sleepers: This may be too firm for lightweight sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers: It is not optimal for stomach sleepers. The firmness can come off as too harsh.
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress is a fantastic choice if searching for a good mattress for side sleepers. It has numerous features packed into a box to provide a good night’s sleep.
This mattress is becoming popular among hot sleepers because it keeps heat away. This ensures that you get a cool sleeping condition all the time.
Related Read: What Is The Best Memory Foam Mattress?
The mattress has a memory foam layer that can provide the best firmness. It also provides a soft and silky sleeping surface that helps you fall asleep instantly.
This mattress has three comfort layers; the first two are memory foam layers. These layers are designed to provide the necessary contouring to your body. The third layer is base foam, which can support the mattress and the sleeping person.
All of the layers are made of high-quality materials such as viscoelastic. It provides extreme softness and a high level of contouring to the body. The layers are crafted to enhance motion isolation.
The motion isolation capacity is very high. Hence you can comfortably share this with your partner even if they are restless sleepers.
The mattress also has an adaptive cooling cover designed to take in the fresh air and distribute it across the entire mattress. It also absorbs your body heat and regulates it to a cooler and comfortable temperature.
The memory foam is engineered to regulate the overall mattress temperature. It does so by dissipating your body heat and absorbing moisture. The intelligent memory foam also used this heat to provide an excellent level of body contouring.
The mattress has excellent responsiveness to the movements of your body. It can give a superior level of body contouring in all positions as you move around.
Best Hybrid Mattress – Eve Premium Hybrid Mattress
- The top cover is made of antibacterial and antimicrobial materials.
- The foam layer is light and soft, which keeps the pressure off the body during sleep.
- The foam layers are infused with graphite.
- It has an effective pocket size spring system in place.
- Side Sleeper: It provides the cushioning on the hips and shoulders needed for side sleepers.
- Back Sleeper: The hybrid model gives an ideal amount of firmness and softness to support your back. It is an excellent choice for a back sleeper.
- Front Sleeper: The medium-firm feel can be soft on your stomach and support you to sleep better.
- Lightweight Sleeper: Although it is medium-firm, it can still be too firm for a lightweight sleeper.
- Combo Sleeper: It is not responsive enough. Although the contouring is good, it is not optimal for a combo sleeper.
This is a splendid choice for anyone looking for a mattress in a box fusion of memory foam and spring. The mattress provides excellent body contouring and an exceptional level of firmness.
Related Read: Top Hybrid Mattresses 2022
Let us analyse this one layer by layer. The first top cover is quilted very well, and it is also washable. It is made of antibacterial and antimicrobial materials.
The foam layer comprises a unique float foam layer that gives an active cooling effect. I felt this mattress was exceptionally comfortable in terms of temperature regulation. It is also very soft and is soothing on pressure points across the back and limbs.
The next memory foam layer is light and soft, which helps keep the body’s pressure during sleep. These foam layers are infused with graphite, which helps regulate body temperature as you move.
The support layer is made with components that keep the mattress sturdy and robust for a long time. This layer also adds to the temperature regulating capacity of the mattress. Also, the filler foam on this one keeps your spine aligned throughout the night.
The foam casing is made of two layers to the highly effective spring system. It prevents the sensation of ‘rolling off the bed’ at the edges.
The springs are the best part of this mattress, coming in a pocket size that is 12 cm. It has over 1,500 springs that provide you with excellent support.
The springs adjust to every movement of your body all night. Additionally, the size of the spring adds to the breathability of the mattress.
The base is made of superior quality materials that are anti-slip. So, everything on the bed stays in place, and you stay comfortable all night long.
Best For Hot Sleepers – The Simba Hybrid Pro Mattress
- The mattress has 2,500 cone-shaped pocket springs.
- It is made of hypoallergenic materials.
- The 5 layers of foam are designed to provide airflow.
- It provides excellent spinal alignment.
- Back sleepers: This mattress provides spinal alignment optimal for back sleepers. It provides excellent back support throughout the night.
- Side sleepers: It provides good shoulder support and hip alignment necessary for a side sleeper. It can also ease pain in the shoulders and hips.
- Hot sleepers: It is made of Simbatex foam that regulates heat to keep you cool throughout the night.
- Couples: It lacks motion isolation suitable for people with different sleeping styles.
- Heavyweight sleepers: The mattress has high tension heavyweight sleepers.
Simba’s second-generation hybrid mattress provides next-level comfort and temperature regulation. This mattress is made in the UK, and it is one of the best mattresses in a box for hot sleepers.
The mattress is designed to provide a furry softness to all sleeper types. It also provides a high level of strength while sleeping. It can be effective for restless sleepers and people who find it difficult to fall asleep.
This mattress consists of 2,500 springs in a king-sized model. Each of them is composed of 100% British steel. All the springs are made employing miQro pocket spring design.
Related Read: Best Pocket Sprung Mattress In The UK
These cone-shaped models are patented. They are excellent in providing responsiveness, and they also weigh very little compared to other springs.
The second layer is constructed meticulously using Simbatex foam. It has an open-cell structure that consists of graphite. That helps in reducing body heat and increases the cooling of the surface.
The cover of this mattress is made of hypoallergenic materials that can be good for anyone with sensitive skin. The cover is also highly breathable and helps in providing great air circulation for the mattress.
The mattress’s reflex layer moulds to the shape of your body excellently, even when moving around a lot. It helps you adjust to the bed as you switch your positions all night.
The foam base is engineered using zoned support which helps in providing the most optimal tension. The seven zones help in providing a different level of firmness suitable for individual body types.
This mattress is made of materials that enhance pressure relief by providing good spinal alignment. It can be relaxing for your back, limbs, and shoulders. So, if you are a side sleeper who also sleeps hot like me, this can be an excellent choice.
Luxury Pick- Brooke + Wilde Elite Mattress
- A foam protector layer reduces friction caused by foam and the cover.
- The top layer is thermal regulating and is made of breathable materials.
- It is made using wave technology.
- It is easy to handle.
- Hot Sleepers: The breathable materials are excellent in regulating temperature. That makes it a good choice for hot sleepers.
- Back Sleepers: It has good spinal alignment for back sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: The shoulder, hips, and lower back support are optimal for side sleepers.
- Couples: It lacks sound motion isolation; hence it is not ideal for couples.
- Lightweight sleepers: The firmness can be too high for lightweight sleepers.
The Elite Mattress by Brooke + Wilde can be an excellent choice if you want a restful night’s sleep. It is one of the most popular, and also it is straightforward to handle. These qualities put this mattress on the list of best mattresses in a box.
The mattress is made of ‘layer after layer of comfort’ to provide a quiet night’s sleep. The mattress has received an award from the Good Housekeeping Institute.
It has eight layers that bring unique features to the mattress. Let’s get to the analysis of the layers.
The first layer is a removable unzippable cover made of a washable material. It’s made of breathable materials that allow for an excellent level of air circulation.
The second layer is a memory foam protector layer. This allows the top cover to move independently of the foam, thus working to its total capacity. That will help reduce the friction between the foam layer and the fabric.
The layers have an open cell structure that increases breathability and enhances moisture evaporation. It will ensure to provide you with a cool and comfortable environment.
It has 2,500 mini spring pockets designed to move beneath as you turn around in your sleep all night. These springs add to the firmness of the mattress and give the necessary pushback that is absent in foam only mattresses.
This mattress has employed a unique wave technology to add support and depth to the foam. The upper part of the mattress remains flexible to provide spinal alignment to a moving person. At the same time, the lower part remains firm to give some necessary support.
It has an additional layer of 1,000 springs. These springs are more prominent and are designed to provide a little more push and bounce.
Best Affordable Choice – Duvalay Easysleep Three Mattress
- It has a superior S-line pocket spring.
- It has a unique cooling feature known as Freshtec.
- The hybrid design provides excellent pain relief.
- It is a non-flip easy to handle mattress.
- Hot Sleepers: This can be a good choice for hot sleepers owing to its increased air circulation features.
- Back Sleepers: The special S-line provides the most optimal back support.
- Back Pain: The pressure-relieving features can be suitable for people with back pain.
- Side Sleepers: The support for shoulders and hips is not good enough.
- Stomach Sleepers: It can be too harsh for stomach sleepers.
This mattress is on this list of best mattresses in a box because of its unique features – the combination of superior S-line pocket springs and Freshtec cooling. Also, if you are looking for an affordable mattress in a box, this can be the one for you.
It is designed to regulate body temperature by increasing the circulation of airflow. That is accomplished with the unique Freshtec cooling technology. It minimises sweating, so this can be a good fit for hot sleepers.
It helps you in relaxing into a deeper sleep with excellent body contouring. It has S-Line pocket springs that provide ideal spinal alignment. That will, in turn, give you excellent postural support.
The hybrid design gives an excellent level of pressure relief. It is good on the limbs and back. However, it is not so great on the shoulders and hips when you sleep on your side.
The top layer is made of thermoregulating components. It is made of high-density foam that can provide a high level of spinal alignment. It is also soothing on the pressure point and helps in removing stress.
You only have to rotate the mattress occasionally, and it does not require flipping.
The final base is extremely sturdy for a mattress in a box. The support provided is excellent and reliable. The base is also non-slip, giving you peace of mind as you fall asleep.
The mattress top is 100% polyester with an additional white fibre filling. It ensures the softness and longevity of the cover and the mattress.
The mattress is manufactured in the UK and complies with all the safety regulations. The mattress is also one of the most durable mattresses.
Best Firmness Mattress – Silentnight Studio Original Mattress
- The top cover is made of antibacterial materials that prevent bacterial or fungi formation.
- It is made of highly breathable Purotex fibre materials.
- The mattress is extremely strong, with 3 different zones of support.
- It is easy to care for and handle the mattress.
- Back Sleepers: It provides optimal back support and spinal alignment.
- Side Sleepers: This mattress provides good shoulder support and pain relief for side sleepers.
- People with Sensitive Skin: The hypoallergenic materials in this mattress make it a good pick for people with sensitive skin.
- Stomach Sleepers: It can be too firm for people who sleep on their stomachs.
- Heavyweight sleepers: The firmness is not optimal for a heavyweight sleeper.
I highly recommend this one to anyone who finds it difficult to fall asleep immediately. The soft fabric and the comfort layers can help you fall asleep instantly. The mattress also has an excellent level of firmness that can be excellent for anyone with a bad back.
It has numerous layers designed to provide gentle support to the pressure points. It provided me with a high level of pressure relief and was easy on my limbs and shoulders.
The mattress is also made of superior materials to provide excellent body contouring. This is the result of the superb responsiveness the mattress can provide.
The mattress has zoned support that has three different zones for support. It is crafted to give a high level of comfort that provides a relaxing sensation to the critical areas of your body.
It is incredibly soothing on the back, hip, and shoulders. That makes it good for side sleepers.
The materials added in the layering of this mattress are made of Purotex fibres. These fibres are excellent in ensuring softness and exhibiting antibacterial properties.
It provides relief against various types of fungal infections, including moulds. It is also effective against dust mites. Allergy UK endorses these fibres.
I highly recommend this to anyone with sensitive skin and prone to allergies caused by materials in a mattress. The hypoallergenic materials in the fabric can benefit them while providing much-needed airflow.
The firmness of this mattress is excellent since it is not too firm or not too soft. That can be helpful if you are a combo sleeper or a side sleeper like me.
Frequently Asked Questions- Best Mattress in A Box
What exactly is a mattress in a box?
A mattress in a box or bed in a box is simply a mattress delivered to you. The mattress is compressed to fit in a box using heavy machinery.
It is done to make storing and transporting a mattress more practical and economical. Once you remove the mattress from the box and the package, the mattress decompresses and becomes like any other usual mattress.
There are numerous reasons for putting a mattress in a box. The mattress manufacturers do not have large storage spaces or money to spare for overhead costs. Secondly, it can make the delivery process much more straightforward and cost-effective.
Also, the processing of compressing the mattress in a cardboard box is easier to handle for buyers like you and me.
Once the mattress is at your doorstep, you can easily carry it inside and remove it from the packaging. The mattress will decompress like the regular mattress you see in the stores.
It can take less than an hour, or it can take a few days for the mattress to decompress before it is ready to be used. The time will depend on the individual mattress design and its specifications.
Is a mattress in a box any good?
There are some cases of off-gassing and extra-base requirements concerning mattress in a box. However, as they say, exceptions are not examples. So, is a mattress in a box any good?
The answer to this question is a big yes. Let me explain. Firstly, they are available in a wide range of options. When the mattress in a box became something, I honestly did not believe they could be manufactured in these many varieties.
Well, the manufacturers proved me wrong. There is enough option that can suit all the different needs and preferences. The number of options can become overwhelming.
Mattress in a box is available in options that include various memory foam types. While some come with gel, and some are without gel.
It may have limited options, but look at all the mattress types listed above. You have so many options to choose from.
They also cover all the features provided by a traditional mattress. This includes spinal alignment, motion isolation, temperature regulation, and body contouring.
Many of these even provide features not present in a traditional mattress. That includes long trial periods and an easy return policy.
Does a mattress in a box last long?
A lot of buyers are sceptical about purchasing a mattress in a box. It is understandable owing to all the misconceptions about these mattresses.
One common rumour about a bed in a box mattress is that it does not last long compared to traditional mattresses. That can not be far from the truth since they last the same, if not longer.
However, the lifespan of a mattress in a box is highly dependent on the brand you are purchasing from. It is very similar to a traditional mattress; hence all you need to worry about is how reputable the mattress brand is.
Secondly, it is highly dependent on the price you pay for it. The higher the price you pay, the better the quality of the mattress.
So, if the mattress material composition is durable, it will directly influence how long your mattress lasts. Always check for the quality of materials and the quality of the mattress brand.
In some cases, a high-quality box mattress can last more than 10 years. Generally, it all depends on the manufacturer and the materials, not really on the type of mattress when it comes to durability.
Can you sleep on a bed in a box right away?
Buying a mattress in a box is a very convenient and fast-paced choice. However, unlike traditional mattresses, you can not immediately sleep on them.
When the mattress arrives in the box, it may seem like a big boxed present for you. So, you can immediately open and unwrap it. However, it is advisable not to use it right away.
Usually, the mattress may take three days to a week to fully expand. Nevertheless, many new mattresses could have been used way before that time.
That is done by employing new and more sophisticated technology to make mattresses. It is done to avoid the long waiting for the user’s benefit.
These new mattresses are designed to expand to the full size sooner. It could mean that you could sleep on it when it arrives home.
Nonetheless, it is always best to go through the specification and the user manual. That will help you know the exact details about the expansion of your mattress.
Also, if you do not want to take any risk and end up spoiling the mattress for good, you can always reach out. You can call customer service representatives or reach out via any other mode.
You should consider numerous considerations before buying a mattress in a box. These considerations go beyond easy shipping and convenient moving around of the mattress.
It ranges from how the mattress can regulate body temperature to the level of spinal alignment it provides. After all, you go to bed every day even if you don’t get the recommended amount of sleep (well, that’s me).
So, it must be nothing less than perfect. Now, go ahead and buy the best mattress in a box that suits your needs perfectly and nothing less.